RE: Infusion of the soul as a process

From: Victorian Wife (victorianwife@hotmail.com)
Date: Mon Jul 22 2002 - 21:36:10 EDT

    I addressed that, of course. It suffers from the three arguments I made
    which seem to make it untenable. To refresh your memory:

    1. Conception being a process, not an event
    2. The fact of occasional twinning
    3. The fact of occasional twins fusing back into one conceptus.

    A couple of things to keep in mind here:

    Conception is an event and not a process,as I see it. There is a point when
    the sperm fertilizes the egg that a protective barrier is formed around the
    egg so that no other sperm can enter (this takes a matter of a couple of
    minutes). I would characterize that event as the point of conception.
    Without a sperm entering an egg you have no conception and if more than one
    enters,it will be aborted due to the wrong ploidy (DNA content) of the
    embryo.

    As to twins - there is a point where the two embryos are fully and
    functionally separated, thus where there was one soul up until that point an
    additional one could be easily infused at that point (cells coming apart
    after division again takes a matter of minutes). I have never heard of two
    fully formed embryos fusing back together into one embryo (it might but I
    haven't heard about it and would suspect to be very very rare if at all if
    you apply stringent scientific criteria to was is separate in the first
    place).