Re: Comment's on Allens postings

From: Allen Roy (allenroy@peoplepc.com)
Date: Sat Jul 20 2002 - 02:59:40 EDT

    From: "gordon brown" <gbrown@euclid.Colorado.EDU>
    > There are a couple of other reasons for the Sabbath, both pertaining
    > specifically to Israel. (See Exodus 31:13 and Deuteronomy 5:15).

    According to Exodus 31:13 the Sabbath was to be a sign that God makes them
    holy.

    EX 31:12-13 Then the LORD said to Moses, 13 "Say to the Israelites, `You
    must observe my Sabbaths. This will be a sign between me and you for the
    generations to come, so you may know that I am the LORD, who makes you holy.

    However, don't stop there.

         EX 31:14-17 " `Observe the Sabbath, because it is holy to you. ... 15
    For six days, work is to be done, but the seventh day is a Sabbath of rest,
    holy to the LORD. ... 16 The Israelites are to observe the Sabbath,
    celebrating it for the generations to come as a lasting covenant. 17 It will
    be a sign between me and the Israelites forever, for in six days the LORD
    made the heavens and the earth, and on the seventh day he abstained from
    work and rested.' "

    In other words, the Sabbath is a sign that God makes them holy because God
    is the Creator and the Sabbath is the celebration of the Creation week.

    We need to back up to verse 12 to get the context of Deut. 5:15.

    DT 5:12 "Observe the Sabbath day by keeping it holy, as the LORD your God
    has commanded you. 13 Six days you shall labor and do all your work, 14 but
    the seventh day is a Sabbath to the LORD your God. On it you shall not do
    any work, neither you, nor your son or daughter, nor your manservant or
    maidservant, nor your ox, your donkey or any of your animals, nor the alien
    within your gates, so that your manservant and maidservant may rest, as you
    do. 15 Remember that you were slaves in Egypt and that the LORD your God
    brought you out of there with a mighty hand and an outstretched arm.
    Therefore the LORD your God has commanded you to observe the Sabbath day.

    God is not saying that they are to keep the Sabbath in memorial of being
    brought out of Egypt. Rather He wants them to observe the Sabbath that
    celebrates His Creatorship because the Creator is the very one who brought
    them out of Egypt.

    > The New
    > Testament does not tell us when to worship, although there are clues that
    > the early Christians worshipped on the first day of the week.

    By the same token it does not tell us when not to worship. However, The
    book of Acts list many times that Paul taught and attended the Synagogs on
    the Sabbath:

    Acts 13:14 "But when they departed from Perga, they came to Antioch in
    Pisidia, and went into the synagogue on the sabbath day, and sat down."

    Acts 13:42 "And when the Jews were gone out of the synagogue, the Gentiles
    besought that these words might be preached to them the next sabbath.

    Acts 13:44 "And the next sabbath day came almost the whole city together to
    hear the word of God."

    Acts 16:13 "And on the sabbath we went out of the city by a river side,
    where prayer was wont to be made; and we sat down, and spake unto the women
    which resorted thither."

    Acts 17:2 "And Paul, as his manner was, went in unto them, and three sabbath
    days reasoned with them out of the scriptures,"

    Acts 18:4 "And he reasoned in the synagogue every sabbath, and persuaded the
    Jews and the Greeks."

    Acts 19:8 "And he went into the synagogue, and spake boldly for the space of
    three months, disputing and persuading the things concerning the kingdom of
    God.

    I count at least 20 Sabbaths kept by Paul. And 17: 2 says that it was
    Paul's manner/custom to worship on the Sabbath.

    How many times did he meet on the First day?

    > From Romans 14:5,6 we learn that there were some who regarded one day
    > above another and others who regarded every day alike. Each was supposed
    > to accept the other.

      RO 14:5 "One man considers one day more sacred than another; another man
    considers every day alike. Each one should be fully convinced in his own
    mind. 6 He who regards one day as special, does so to the Lord."

    It is worthy of notice that the choices given here are 1. One day special
    and 2. All days alike -- i.e. all are special [holy]. What it does not
    deal with is one person taking one day special and other person taking
    another single day special. Therefore, we cannot draw from this text that
    it is ok for one person to have one day as special and another person to
    have another day as special. It's a single day verses all days.

    > I am pleased that we don't have to be legalistic about this matter.
    > Otherwise I would be concerned about whether or not the guys who drew the
    > International Date Line got it right.

    What is Legalism? Legalism is the attempt to try to EARN salvation by
    trying to keep the law. Along with most every other Christian group, SDAs
    believe in Salvation by faith alone in Jesus. But why then "keep" the
    Sabbath if not to earn Salvation?

    Jesus said, If you love me keep my commandments. Only those who already
    have found salvation through faith are likely to be the ones who truly love
    Jesus. Therefore, only those who have salvation by faith will want to keep
    Jesus' commands. Out of love for Jesus I will love God with my entire being
    and love my fellow man just as I love myself. This means that, out of love
    for Jesus, I won't have any other god/s. Out of love for Jesus I won't used
    his name in vain. Out of love for Jesus, I won't make images to worship.
    Out of love for Jesus, I will honor my mom and dad. Out of love for Jesus I
    won't murder, steal, lie, commit adultery nor covet against my fellow
    mankind. It also means that out of love for Jesus, I will keep the 7th day
    Sabbath in honor of the fact that Jesus is the Creator [John 1:1].

    It's that simple.

    Allen