YEC/Geology (was Rennie's Rant)

From: asa-owner@lists.calvin.edu
Date: Sat Jul 20 2002 - 01:39:17 EDT

    On Thu, 18 Jul 2002 09:48:20 +1000 Jonathan Clarke
    <jdac@alphalink.com.au> writes:

    > The heart of Michael's comment was "Creationists do the cause of the
    Gospel
    > incredible damage."

    According to Scripture it's just the reverse:

    "Who among you fears the Lord and obeys the word of his servant? Let him
    who walks in the dark, who has no light, trust in the name of the Lord
    and rely on his God. But now, all you who light fires and provide
    yourselves with flaming torches, go, walk in the light of your fires and
    of the torches you have set ablaze. This is what you shall receive from
    my hand. You will lie down in torment." (Is 50:10-11)

    > You wrote:
    >
    > "The problem I have encountered with many scientists is their complete
    refusal
    > to admit that their theories or hypothesis are not facts. They cling
    to them
    > with great faith but seem to be unable to deal with genuine challenges
    > numerous assumptions."
    >
    > Since we are talking about YEC, please give specific examples with
    respect to
    > fundamental geological principles, particular in the area of
    stratigraphy,
    > sedimentology, palaeontology.

    I'm growing tired of this (as I know certain others are), expecially
    since those of us with the background to analyze the origin of coal (with
    the exception of James) "seem to be unable to deal with genuine
    challenges to numerous assumptions", but since Jon (?) asked for an
    example, here it is again.

    Glenn posted some photos of coal seams from Alabama back in May. Glenn
    basically refused to engage the data. On May 20 Glenn wrote: "Bill, as
    I have many times said, transported material is seen today in the
    Okefenokee. So what. We aren't having a global flood today, that I am
    aware of. Glub glub.... Transported material is occurring today, and
    does not violate any 'model' that I might have. Why do you never pick up
    on this point."

    On May 25 I wrote:

                    *****************

    "You keep coming back to the Okefenokee so I guess in your mind that is
    the end of the discussion. I'm afraid though, that you are not listening
    to what I have said. Let me repeat what I think I have said before, and
    ask you to tell me how to resolve what I see as glaring inconsistencies
    between the empirical data and the swamp model.

    First of all, I do not deny that vegetation mats float and are grounded
    in the Okefenokee Swamp. These mats are a tangled mass of roots, stems,
    tree trunks, limbs, leaves, etc. If this mass of vegetation were
    vertically compressed 10 times and coalified, it would still reflect the
    tangled nature of the original mat. If a one-inch layer of volcanic ash
    were deposited across the swamp, it would blanket everything and follow
    the topography of the swamp. If the swamp existed for another 1,000
    years after the volcanic ash layer was deposited, we would find that the
    ash layer had been eroded where it draped across water courses. The ash
    layer would also be disturbed by bioturbation from growing trees.

    If this hypothetical swamp were then buried due to land subsidence and
    marine flooding, the trees growing in the swamp would be preserved in
    growth position, with their roots attached. The organics from the swamp
    might eventually become coal, and the sediments might become rock. We
    would then have a coal seam which was derived from a swamp. What would
    be the features of this sequence?

    Here are features commonly found associated with eastern US coal seams:
    A) General lack of stigmarian axial root systems beneath the coal seams;
    B) General lack of either tree stumps or roots in partings;
    C) Commonly extensive, continuous nature of thin partings;
    D) General lack of vertical tree stumps/trunks in the sediment overlying
    coal seams, and general lack of attached roots where vertical tree
    stumps/trunks are found;
    E) Generally consistent total coal seam thickness between areas
    containing splits and those that contain no splits;
    F) Generally consistent thickness of coal seams draped over
    contemporaneous slopes.
    G) Generally razor-sharp contact of coal with its substrate.

    We would not expect to see any one of these features in a swamp deposit,
    yet you get all six in coal seams. As I said recently when you mentioned
    the Okefenokee, there is nothing planar about a swamp. Yet the top and
    bottom contacts of coal, along with any partings or splits, and the
    internal structure of coal are all planar and were, for the most part,
    nearly horizontal at the time of deposition. The Okefenokee has water
    courses, vegatative islands, trees with trunks growing up and roots
    growing down. None of this is horizontal (except on a macro scale), and
    would not be planar, even if compressed 10 times.

    So Glenn, I do accept your statement that there are drifting vegetation
    mats in the Okefenokee; I do not accept your implication that these
    drifting vegetation mats in any way explain the coal seams we see in the
    eastern US. But maybe I have missed something here. Can you or Jonathan
    or Michael or anyone reconcile the empirical observations, as seen in the
    photos you have posted for me, with the swamp model for coal formation?"

    As far as I know, there were no further responses. I don't really expect
    any substansive response this time either. I expect to see the OECs to
    continue to say things like: well, nevermind - you know the drill.

    Bill

    GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
    http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.