Re: Comment's on Allens postings

From: D. F. Siemens, Jr. (dfsiemensjr@juno.com)
Date: Wed Jul 17 2002 - 17:04:43 EDT

    Bob,
    What Allen posted concerning the soul is standard SDA teaching, usually
    described as "soul sleep." I consider the claims special pleading. The
    nonreductionistic monism of Nancey Murphy and others happens to overlap
    it. As I and Paul noted some time back, the latter group ignores all the
    scriptures that do not fit their view. I will here go further and state
    that nonreductive monism cannot accommodate the incarnation. I have
    submitted a paper to EPS arguing this point.

    Contrary to George's statement that the virgin birth or virginal
    conception is not part of the ASA Statement of Faith, I believe that the
    mention of the Nicene and Apostle's Creeds indicates that it is included.
    I don't know what else may be made of "Born of the Virgin Mary" and "And
    was incarnate by the Holy Ghost of the Virgin Mary." I believe in an
    earlier post I noted that, apart from the virginal conception, the deity
    would be acting exactly as demon possession is described, usurping the
    individual's selfhood. I grant that the ecumenical creeds later than the
    Nicene (the date of the current form of the Apostles' Creed is not
    certain: it is not part of the Orthodox statements) elaborate the
    statement about the Lord's nature, but they do not introduce either his
    deity or his virgin birth.
    Dave