RE: Adam from Dust

From: Dick Fischer (dickfischer@earthlink.net)
Date: Wed Jul 17 2002 - 10:44:56 EDT

    Stuart Kirkley wrote:

    >I have to differ with you here. This is what I believe: God's man,
    >the man of the true creation, the first account of creation in
    >Genesis 1, is Christ, made in the image and likeness of God, whom God
    >saw and beheld as very good.

    God "created" Christ? Theological difficulty with that approach.

    >If Adam is God's man, made in His image and likeness, then you are
    >tacitly saying that God is dust.

    Adam was a creation, dust is a creation, God is eternal.

    "In God's image" would be Adam as a representative of God, an
    ambassador. "The image of Baal" was the same thing - a symbolic
    representation that stood in the place of Baal. All "graven images"
    intended to represent the deities are rejected by God. The only
    mediator today is Christ who is "in the image."

    >The second account is a false account of creation: man made of the
    >dust of the ground, what a poor imitation of the grand truth of
    >spiritual creation already presented.

    I think you are on shaky ground positing a "false account." How many
    other false accounts are there in Scripture? Who are we to judge
    what parts of God's Word may be true or false?

    >The story of Adams creation is but an allegory designed to
    >illustrate the error of believing in mortal existence, as opposed to
    >the grand truth of immortal spiritual
    >creation presented in the first chapter.

    It amazes me how much we can find in the Scriptures. If this is how
    the Holy Spirit relates it to you, who am I to say you are wrong? It
    doesn't jibe with my understanding of Scripture, but we all are aware
    of a conservative/liberal split which will be with us forever, I
    suppose. But I would suggest that you will wind up having to explain
    away more than I will as you move from passage to passage. Here is a
    case in point:

    >If Adam is God's man , why does Paul state 'As in Adam all die, even
    >so in Christ shall all be made alive' 15:22 ? Is not this whole
    >chapter explaining the difference between Adam and Christ, between
    >the false man, and the true man, between the real and the unreal.

    If Adam is "unreal," you must find a way to dovetail the real Christ
    with the "unreal" Adam in Luke's genealogy. Where do the real
    fathers and patriarchs stop, and the "unreal" ones begin? Even
    historians recognize "Semites" who emanate from Shem. Was Noah not
    his father? And since Noah is named in II Peter 2:5, would it not be
    just as reasonable to suppose that Adam has the same claim to being
    real as Noah has?

    Dick Fischer - The Origins Solution - www.orislol.com
    ěThe Answer we should have known about 150 years agoî