RE: Challenge #2

From: John Burgeson (hoss_radbourne@hotmail.com)
Date: Sat Jul 13 2002 - 18:34:09 EDT

    >>I vote for #4 &5. BTW, I think humanity is still immature( witness the
    Palestine, Kashmir, Bosnia, Rwanda, and 911, not to mention Enron).I see God
    as preferring to persuade, rather thjan force(although he will club you from
    time to time), so I don't think it denigrates God. I wait with interest the
    explanations of those who buy #1. Maybe the women are sinners, and deserve
    to be forced into concubinage?(Technically, its not quite rape)>>

    The problem with #4, and I will admit#4 is certainly a live option, is that
    (1) it says God is too feeble to do any better with the ancients and (2) we
    are getting, as a race, more mature. I have difficulty with both these
    points. Particularly (2). Up to, say, 1910 or so, there was evidence that
    humanity WAS improving. Then the 20th century produced more carnage,
    torture, etc. than in any previous century. As the new century dawns, I
    don't see us improving. Northern Ireland, India-Pakistan, etc. etc. -- there
    are religious wars all over the place, and they are NOT going away.

    I don't know what you mean by "technically, its not quite rape." Maybe you
    can expand that sentence. I don't agree, of course, but perhaps we can hash
    it out.

    Thanks

    JB