RE: Scripture: Intrusion Ethics / Mark Noll

From: Shuan Rose (shuanr@boo.net)
Date: Fri Jul 12 2002 - 13:03:47 EDT

    -----Original Message-----
    From: asa-owner@lists.calvin.edu [mailto:asa-owner@lists.calvin.edu]On
    Behalf Of Terry M. Gray
    Sent: Friday, July 12, 2002 12:36 AM
    To: asa@calvin.edu
    Subject: Re: Scripture: Intrusion Ethics / Mark Noll

    Snip>

    While we're on the topic, let me mention that it's nice to see all
    the accolades for Mark Noll. Last I talked with Mark he was in the
    Old Princeton/Westminster tradition in his doctrine of scripture. His
    view of scripture was pretty much the same as mine. He was in the
    Orthodox Presbyterian Church in our presbytery in the midwest when I
    was in Grand Rapids. Due to some unfortunate decisions in the OPC
    most of the members of that Wheaton church left over some women in
    leadership issues and started a new Evangelical Presbyterian Church
    (another one of those conservative presbyterian denominations that
    believes in the infallibility of the Bible). After all, Mark Noll is
    a faculty member at Wheaton College where, last I heard, faculty
    members must pass the "rib test" concerning the origin of Eve. Just
    goes to show that you can be a serious scholar and still be
    conservative theologically and on one's view of scripture. Perhaps
    Mark Noll has changed his views since I last spoke to him, but it
    would be news to me.

    Shuan wrote:
            I tell you, I think that it is absolute nonsense that someone
    has to pass
    the " rib" test to serve on the faculty of Wheaton College. why not a bats
    are really birds test or a fish swallowing & regurgitating man test while
    we are at it? Lets leave that attitude back with the Spanish Inquisition
    where it belongs (exit rant mode),

    I will nevertheless read Mr. Noll. But the very fact that Wheaton College
    has such a test shows that there is indeed a problem with the evangelical
    mind.

    One thing that most of our recent discussions (OT
    ethics/creation/homosexuality/Daniel) has shown me is that dialog of
    many topics is nearly fruitless without a shared view of scripture.
    Some consider decisive what the Bible says while others are able to
    dismiss what the Bible says if it's contrary to "modern" ethical
    standards or the "critical" scholars' consensus or what scientists or
    historians say. And, of course, anyone who dismisses or questions the
    "modern", the "critical", the scientific or the historical consensus
    is labeled a fundamentalist who has his/her head buried in the sand.

    Shuan wrote:
    I don't know what you mean by a shared view of Scripture. We all agree that
    Scripture is inspired. We may disagree on what inspiration means. If
    inspiration means that there are no scientific, historical, or theological
    errors in Scripture, or no inconsistencies ,then I would dissent. I would
    have to say that people who believe that are indeed hiding their heads in
    the sand(your words, not mine). One can find clever, if unconvincing,
    explanations for all of these errors and inconsistencies but in the end,
    this approach substitutes apologetics for exegesis and in my mind has to be
    considered a failure.
    Its clear what Scripture says about holy war, for example. its not so clear
    how "decisive" it is for us today.Burgy is certainly not the one who has a
    problem with these passages.
    Since I understand that I am not an expert in Hebrew, Greek, or ancient NE
    literature, I believe that I should defer to the expert consensus in that
    field. In my view, it is arrogant to advance my view without at least being
    informed about what Biblical scholars say. I know you would not like it,
    Terry, if I pontificated about chemistry or computer science without at
    least reading what the experts in the field had to say. Curiously, many feel
    that they have a right to pontificate about the Bible while dismissing two
    centuries of scholarship in the field!

    Finally, with respect to

    >"God" is not God's name.
    >It is the marks and noise we humans make to refer to the great mystery
    >that lies beyond -- and within.

    The Christianity that I profess is not the result of my or any other
    humans' "markings and noise" but the result of God's
    self-disclosure--the "one who is there and who is not silent"--the
    one who has revealed Himself in history, in His Word, and in His Son.

    Shuan Wrote:
    I agree that "he" disclosed himself but he most assuredly did not call
    himself " God" [ English had not been invented yet:)].I say this to make the
    point that all revelation about God(more properly called Yahweh) is done
    through human beings-human beings limited in time, space, circumstances, and
    knowledge. Inspiration did not lift them out of that condition. Rather God
    worked within and around their limitations to produce Scripture. And it is
    the Church under the guidance of the Holy Spirit, who tells us decisively
    what these scriptures mean for us today. What the Church teaches should be
    informed-NOT controlled- by modern scholarship-both biblical and
    nonbiblical, including the sciences and history.
    I take this approach to Scripture to be centrist and quite orthodox. And I
    think it congruent to the ASA statement of faith, so long as that statement
    is understood in a nuanced fashion.

    Regards,
    Shuan Rose

    SNIP>