Re: Why no 2350 BC Mesopotamian flood evidence?

From: bivalve (bivalve@mail.davidson.alumlink.com)
Date: Mon Jul 08 2002 - 19:47:42 EDT

    >He told me that the "solution" I will here discuss was proposed on
    >this list quite a while back.<

    Actually, it may have been on the Affiliation of Christian Geologists
    list and not this one; I have not double-checked the archives.

    At any rate, at the Affiliation of Christian Geologists meeting at
    the Geological Society of America meeting about six years ago or so,
    someone gave a talk on the possibility of the Persian Gulf as the
    site for Eden and Noah's Flood. He suggested that recently detected
    dry and buried river channels in Arabia could account for the other
    rivers besides the Tigris and Euphrates in Genesis 2. However, his
    flood model was more like Glenn's than Mike's in that he postulated
    the existence of a barrier blocking the southeast end of the Gulf
    that, in conjunction with Pleistocene sea level lowstand, produced
    the dry seabed. Rising sea level was then envisioned as breaching
    this barrier. He provided tentative speculation about the barrier
    and evidence for past lowered sea level in the Gulf, but the evidence
    is weak at that point.

    This has the advantage of not proposing impacts for which there is no
    known evidence. Between petroleum exploration and military
    attention, I suspect that the large-scale structure of the floor of
    the Gulf (i.e., adequate to detect significant craters) is
    well-known, though perhaps not publicly available. From Mike's
    viewpoint, it has the disadvantage of not corresponding to his
    chronology. It does not solve the problem of getting the ark any
    farther north than southern Iraq, if that is considered a problem.
    It could be quick enough to trap the neighbors without being so
    violent as to overturn the Ark.

         Dr. David Campbell
         Old Seashells
         University of Alabama
         Biodiversity & Systematics
         Dept. Biological Sciences
         Box 870345
         Tuscaloosa, AL 35487 USA
         bivalve@mail.davidson.alumlink.com

    That is Uncle Joe, taken in the masonic regalia of a Grand Exalted
    Periwinkle of the Mystic Order of Whelks-P.G. Wodehouse, Romance at
    Droitgate Spa