Re: Second-hand sign? (was Re: Noahic Covenant)

From: Vernon Jenkins (vernon.jenkins@virgin.net)
Date: Sat Jul 06 2002 - 17:24:50 EDT

    David,

    Thanks for your comments.

    must have coincided with God's giving it as a token between Himself and
    the earth following the Flood, you wrote:

    Circumcision was already an established custom for some peoples when
    God used it second-hand as a token of the covenant with Abraham.

    The Noahic covenant was unconditional and universal in its scope and
    (apart from thanks and praise) required no response from Noah. But the
    Abrahamic covenant applied specifically to Abraham and his seed - the
    required response being circumcision of all males. However, it is surely
    unthinkable that in this matter God should take His lead from the
    practices of pagans. He, clearly, had His own agenda; and while we might
    speculate regarding His reason for requiring mutilation of the flesh as a
    token of acceptance of this covenant, the truth is that we can never
    plumb such depths. Certainly, the Egyptians and others who practised
    circumcision had completely different (and erroneous) motives.

    You also said:

    Passover was long-established when Jesus used it second hand to
    establish communion as a sign of the new covenant.

    Of course you are correct in regarding the Lord's Supper or Eucharist as
    deriving from the Passover. But in the case of the two matters already
    discussed, viz rainbow and circumcision, no development was involved, as
    there is here. The term 'second-hand' is therefore inappropriate in this
    context.

    Sincerely,

    Vernon