Re: Anthropological items

From: Jay Willingham (jaywillingham@cfl.rr.com)
Date: Sat Jul 06 2002 - 15:02:33 EDT

    I find it difficult to accept taxonomical classification of true hominid
    remains as anything other than variations within homo sapiens.

    It appears to me that most if not all hominid fossils are within or close to
    the arguable range of physiological variation seen in historical homo
    sapiens.

    Assumptions about braincase and other skeletal characteristics of the
    pre-historic hominids are fascinatingly speculative at best.

    I love scientific inquiry but believe too many scientists tend to make the
    hypothesis to theory leap prematurely.

    This condition is endemic to patron, tenure and grant systems requiring
    publication or seeking a certain result.

    Abuses also are engendered by a media thirsty for news.

    Jay

    James Estes Willingham, Jr.
    Attorney and Counselor at Law
    2411 Mohawk Trail,