Re: Daniel

From: Allen Roy (allenroy@peoplepc.com)
Date: Sat Jul 06 2002 - 03:28:16 EDT

    From: "Shuan Rose" <shuanr@boo.net>
    > Shuan writes:
    > Since Daniel seems to get some of the Babylonian details wrong (
    Belshazzar
    > son of Nebuchcanezzar as the last king of Babylon and a Babylonian
    invasion
    > in 605 BC unattested anywhere else) I would argue that this is evidence
    > AGAINST an exilic date.I also think he would have been clear as the real
    > name of Cyrus the Great.(Second Isaiah and most other writings from exilic
    > and postexilic times are all very clear about that) I agree that the
    > linguistic arguments are not really decisive

    It has long been noted that the term "son of" in the Bible can also mean
    grandson or even great-grandson. While we now know that Nabonidus was the
    son of Nebuchadnezzar, and father of Belshazzar, He did not rule very long
    in Babylon. Belshazzar was made co-ruler with Nabonidus and put in charge
    of Babylon while Nabonidus left for elsewhere. So, although Belshazzar was
    technically Neb.s grandson, he was the next major and last ruler of
    Babylon -- the "son" of old Neb. That Daniel did not mention Nabonidus may
    simply be a tacit recognition of the little effect that he had on the city
    of Babylon. And too, Nabonidus had very little to do with the important
    events recorded in Daniel. So, the ignoring of Nabonidus in Daniel is a
    very minor consideration.

    And the argument from the lack of extra-biblical evidence for the reported
    invasion is a very weak argument. Time and again, archaeology has brought
    to light evidence that was thought could not have existed. When it comes to
    making a choice between seemingly contrasting accounts from history or the
    Biblical record, I take the Biblical record first.

    Allen