Re: Second-hand sign? (was Re: Noahic Covenant)

From: bivalve (bivalve@mail.davidson.alumlink.com)
Date: Thu Jul 04 2002 - 14:47:40 EDT

    >The Scriptures first mention this "bow in the clouds" in Gen.9:13
    >where - following the Flood - it is described as "a token of the
    >covenant between me (God) and the earth" - a perpetual reminder of
    >His promise never again to destroy all flesh that is upon the earth
    >by water. What is surely implied here is, (a) the rainbow was a
    >_novelty_ and therefore, (b) untill the Flood, the Antediluvians had
    >never known _rain_.<

    The Scriptures first mention feet in Genesis 18, but I do not think
    Noah did not have them. Not every rainstorm has a rainbow, either.

    >where was the logic and fitness of God's using it 'second-hand' as a
    >token of the covenant?<

    Circumcision was already an established custom for some peoples when
    God used it second-hand as a token of the covenant with Abraham.
    Passover was long-established when Jesus used it second hand to
    establish communion as a sign of the new covenant.

         Dr. David Campbell
         Old Seashells
         University of Alabama
         Biodiversity & Systematics
         Dept. Biological Sciences
         Box 870345
         Tuscaloosa, AL 35487 USA
         bivalve@mail.davidson.alumlink.com

    That is Uncle Joe, taken in the masonic regalia of a Grand Exalted
    Periwinkle of the Mystic Order of Whelks-P.G. Wodehouse, Romance at
    Droitgate Spa