RE: sciDocument.rtf

From: Dr. Blake Nelson (bnelson301@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Jul 04 2002 - 10:27:30 EDT

    What philosophy does point out, that science does not,
    is that epistmological and ontological presuppositions
    cannot be tested in science. Science is a VERY
    limited realm of inquiry. To limit theological truth
    to what is scientifically verifiable guts the meaning
    of theology. To limit our lives to what is
    scientifically verifiable guts our lives of meaning.

    How does science prove my friends exist? How does
    science prove my thoughts are rational or even my own?
      How does science test whether my wife or children
    love me? How does science tell me whether I should
    join the French resistance in Nazi occupied France or
    stay at home with my ailing mother who may die without
    my help? How does science verify wether an act of
    kindndess to those less fortunate is a good or bad
    thing?

    The only way science can even begin to say anything
    about these and a billion more questions that are of
    REAL importance to human lives is by making
    suppositions which are not scientifically testable.
    Indeed, if scientists can even feign an answer to any
    of these things, it is only by importing philosophical
    positions into the mix, almost always without
    admitting that it is doing so.

    I find the idea that we judge a religion by
    scientifically testable claims naive and simply
    unworkable. Which claims are subject to scientific
    test? You already agreed that whether God works in
    the world is not testable. This, according to Atkins
    and Dawkins, is victory for atheism, because God is a
    scientific claim and if it is not demonstrable, it
    does not exist. How do you respond to their position
    that you are right, religious claims are scientific,
    and all have been found wanting, "proving" that God
    does not exist?