Fall meeting of the Eastern PA section of ASA at Messiah College

From: Mccarrick Alan D CRPH (MccarrickAD@nswccd.navy.mil)
Date: Mon Jul 01 2002 - 07:46:18 EDT

    ASAers,

    Ted Davis and I have lined up our ASA Eastern PA Sectional meeting on
    the topic of astronomy (both historic issues and issues of design).
    I've copied the initial announcement here. The date and speakers are
    firm so go ahead and plan to come and invite associates and friends.
    A formal brochure will be prepared with more info (like directions
    and times) for you to put on bulletin boards. I can e-mail or snail
    mail the brochures when they are done.

    Please contact me if you are interested or have someone that you want
    me to contact.

    Alan McCarrick

          We are pleased to announce the fall meeting of the Eastern PA
    Section of the American Scientific Affiliation. We will be returning
    to Messiah College campus in Grantham, PA on September 28th. Please
    contact Alan McCarrick at admeam@aol.com for more information to be
    put on our contact list.

          Our general topic this time around will be Astronomy and we will
    have Dr. Owen Gingerich and Dr. Robert C. Newman.

           Dr. Gingerich is Research Professor of Astronomy and History of
    Science at Harvard University and a senior astronomer emeritus at the
    Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory. Professor Gingerich's
    research interests have ranged from the recomputation of an ancient
    Babylonian mathematical table to the interpretation of stellar
    spectra. He is co-author of two successive standard models for the
    solar atmosphere. In the past three decades, he has become a leading
    authority on the 17th-century German astronomer Johannes Kepler and
    on Nicholas Copernicus. Dr. Gingerich has also been an active
    participant in science-faith discussions bringing to the table his
    experience in the history of science, an appreciation for design in
    the universe and a deep Christian faith. He is a Fellow of the ASA.
    His talk is entitled "Galileo: Hero or Heretic?"

           Dr. Newman, one of "our own" Eastern PA members, is Professor
    of New Testament at the Biblical Theological Seminary of Hatfield,
    Pennsylvania and Director of the Interdisciplinary Biblical Research
    Institute (IBRI). In the field of science, Dr. Newman received his
    doctorate in theoretical astrophysics from Cornell University. As a
    theologian he has earned the degrees of Master of Divinity and Master
    of Sacred Theology. He is co-author of four books and has also
    published a number of articles in magazines, scientific and
    theological journals. He is a Fellow of the ASA. Dr. Newman's
    presentation is entitled "The Cosmos and the Bible: A Critical
    Examination of Modern Cosmological Theories."