Re: methodological atheism

From: JW Burgeson (hoss_radbourne@hotmail.com)
Date: Tue Apr 30 2002 - 15:24:30 EDT

    Ted expanded my understanding of MN by at least 350 more years when he
    wrote: "The first naturalists in the Western tradition were certain
    Presocratic philosophers, who sought to explain all things as natural
    events, rather than as the result of divine actions. For example, Thales of
    Miletus (fl. ca. 585 B.C.) attributed earthquakes to tremors in the water on
    which the disk of the earth floated -- a naturalistic rendering of the older
    Greek view that the god of the sea, Poseidon, was responsible for causing
    them. Similarly, the author of the Hippocratic treatise On the Sacred
    Disease (i.e., epilepsy), written about 400 B.C., opens the work by rebuking
    those who would attribute the cause of the disease to the gods:... ."

    Thanks for the comments. Can you give me a citation? This is all new to me.

    Burgy