Re: Questioning the Big Bang

From: george murphy (gmurphy@raex.com)
Date: Mon Apr 29 2002 - 22:21:00 EDT

    "Howard J. Van Till" wrote:

    > As others have commented, it is interesting that one strong motivating
    > factor for the proponents of the cyclic model was the fact that the
    > inflationary model seemed not to have good competition to keep its
    > proponents on their toes. Quite a noble approach, I'd say. Sign of a healthy
    > state of science?
    >
    > It should also be pointed out that this particular questioning of the Big
    > Bang provides no comfort whatsoever to persons wishing to find empirical
    > support for a recent "exnihilation." The age of this particular universe
    > might be 14 billion years, but the age of the more fundamental World of
    > which this universe is but one cycle becomes effectively infinite. Of
    > course, if the Ultimate Reality is God-and-a-World, as David Griffin and
    > other process theologians suggest, then the cyclic model would seem quite
    > reasonable.

             I figured this card would be played fairly soon. In evaluating it note
             1) There is no empirical support at all for a cyclic model.
             2) The statement "the Ultimate Reality is God-and-World" goes well
    beyond the claim that the world exists eternally in dependence upon God, which
    is one way of interpreting _creatio ex nihilo_. It removes any qualitative
    distinction between God and the world, and thus, among other things, is
    fundamental conflict with the First Commandment.

    Shalom,

    George

    George L. Murphy
    http://web.raex.com/~gmurphy/