Objections to concordism

From: Terry M. Gray (grayt@lamar.colostate.edu)
Date: Sat Apr 27 2002 - 12:46:33 EDT

    Jim,

    This debate has been raging pretty much unchanged at least since the
    rise of modern geology in the 1800's. The arguments are well-worn and
    there is hardly anything new in the discussion. Even material similar
    to Dick Fisher's work has been advanced by others many years ago. The
    reasons for not achieving consensus are many and complex and related
    to many "meta" things.

    For example, you and many others believe that Genesis 1 accurately
    reflects modern scientific descriptions especially in terms of
    chronology. Others of us don't. Why we don't see eye to eye is not so
    clear. Those of us who don't accept this congruence have explained
    this in various articles. Why you don't see it and we do is a mystery
    to me (obviously you feel the same way about your/our perspective).

    One position that is one of three prominent viewpoints in my church
    circles (conservative Presbyterianism in English speaking countries)
    is what is called the "framework view". (The other views are 24 hour
    days and day-age--a link to the discussion in the Presbyterian Church
    of America is at
    http://www.asa3.org/ASA/topics/Bible-Science/PCA-Report2000.html .) I
    will give you some links to some on-line articles and point you to
    some other writings that you might get access to. This view takes a
    literary view of Genesis 1 based on internal arguments (usually its
    advocates take a more historical/chronological approach to the rest
    of Genesis. Professor Meredith G. Kline, Professor of Old Testament
    at Gordon-Conwell Seminary and Westminster Seminary in California has
    been one of the most scholarly advocates of this view.

    Please check it out. Here are the references:

    Articles by Meredith G. Kline:
    (1958)
    http://www.asa3.org/ASA/resources/WTJ/WTJ58Kline.html
    (1996)
    http://www.asa3.org/ASA/PSCF/1996/PSCF3-96Kline.html#The%20Bible%20and%20Science

    Articles by Kline's "student" Lee Irons explaining Kline's views:
    (2000)
    http://www.upper-register.com/framework/framework_interpretation.html

    Lee Irons' web site with several articles explaining this viewpoint:
    http://www.upper-register.com/framework.html

    Books referred to in the previous articles

    H. Blocher, In the Beginning (Downers Grove: InterVarsity, 1984)
    C. E. Hummel, The Galileo Connection (Downers Grove: InterVarsity, 1986)
    N. H. Ridderbos, Is There A Conflict Between Genesis 1 and Natural
    Science? (Grand Rapids, 1957)

    TG

    --
    Fort Collins, Colorado  80523