Seventy Weeks

From: Peter Ruest (pruest@pop.mysunrise.ch)
Date: Mon Apr 22 2002 - 11:14:59 EDT

    MikeSatterlee@cs.com wrote:
    > Jim wrote: Somewhere in the OT there is a prophecy "70 weeks to Messiah."
    > Well, this prophecy was written something like 500 years before Jesus. To
    > "work" the interpretation a week has to equal seven years.
    >
    > Jim is referring to Daniel 9:24-27. I've recently been doing some historical
    > research on the time in which these "seventy weeks" began to run. The
    > starting point, or "terminus a quo," of Daniel's "Seventy Weeks" prophecy has
    > long been a matter of some debate, as has the proper understanding of much of
    > its contents. I think I've uncovered some information which may go a long way
    > in settling this matter. If this prophecy is of particular interest of anyone
    > here, and you wish to discuss it, feel free to E mail me.

    Hi Mike,
    do you know Bob Newman's report about this? You probably do. But just in
    case...
    This is from the current IBRI catalog (www.ibri.org ... Mail your order
    to: IBRI, P.O. Box 423, Hatfield, PA 19440-0423):
    "RR9 (F). Robert C. Newman, The Time of the Messiah. 1981, 1988. 12 pp,
    $2.00. ISBN 0-944788-09-2. The historical sources from the first two
    centuries AD indicate that the period was a time when the Messiah was
    expected to appear in fulfillment of some OT prophecy, probably Daniel
    9:24-27. The classic calculation of Sir Robert Anderson faces some
    serious difficulties, but these may be resolved by taking the "weeks" of
    this prophecy to be the OT seven- year land use cycle. The result points
    to Jesus as the fulfillment of this prophecy."

    Peter