Bear sacrifice (was RE: How and when did we become "men"?)

From: Glenn Morton (glenn.morton@btinternet.com)
Date: Mon Apr 22 2002 - 09:32:00 EDT

    Dick Fischer wrote:
    >Behalf Of Dick Fischer
    >Sent: Sunday, April 21, 2002 6:58 PM

    >First, why in the world would you want to discuss bears with me? What do
    >I know about bears? I honestly know nothing more than anyone would who
    >had taken a trip to the zoo. So if the subject is bears, please, you talk,
    >I'll listen.

    I fully agree, Dick, you know nothing about Bears, but you ought to take the
    time to learn about the wider world out there. To totally focus on
    Mesopotamia to the exclusion of everything else, you can't possibly know
    what is out there which might falsify your views. You need to broaden your
    horizons.

    And I might suggest taking some memory pills. The reason we are discussing
    bears is because of animal sacrifice.

    >What I mentioned is that at Catal Huyuk, a city that was abandoned
    >prior to the cities of southern Mesopotamia getting off the ground, there
    >was no animal sacrifice as evidenced by an alter coupled with a runoff
    >system that would channel the blood. Therefore, I consider it likely that
    >the kind of wholesale sacrificing of unblemished, domesticated animals
    >performed by the Israelites, and picked up by the Sumerians, was not
    >performed prior to the time of the Patriarchs, that is no earlier
    >than 7,000
    >years ago.

    Catal Huyuk doesn't constitute the entire universe of human activity. Nor is
    Catal Huyuk the only place in the world where humans lived 7000 years ago.
    Just because it wasn't done in Catal Huyuk doesn't mean it wasn't done
    elsewhere.

    I wrote:
    >>What you seem to want to imply is that this "spirituality" exists because
    >>all hominids emanate from Adam. That's an argument that is DOA in my
    >book.
    >
    >I don't think you even discuss it in your book, if I may be permitted to
    >make a logical equivocation here.
    >
    >I meant "in my book" the expression - not in my book, The Origins Solution.

    Do you know what a logical equivocation is? The joke went over your head.

    >One reason I have not done much over the past couple of years is
    >that I find
    >it very generally useless to discuss evidence with people who have already
    >got their minds firmly shut, which seems to be at a higher percentage among
    >religious peoples. And that is truly sad. And because of this, these
    >discussions have come to frustrate me because no matter what one puts out,
    >it is generally ignored, as you did, claiming that animal sacrifice didn't
    >exist prior to 7000 BC and when presented with evidence, you don't even
    >mention it in your next email in any substantive manner (other than that
    >lots of stuff about killing bears snipped).
    >
    >Yes, because killing wild bears is not the same thing as sacrificing
    >domesticated cattle.

    Actually in modern circumpolar peoples who practice this religion, it is
    absolutely the same thing done with the same purpose--the atonement of sin.

    Most of these peoples take a bear cub and raise it with them for a year as a
    child. Early missionaries to the Ainu of Japan would preach to the people
    with the women in the audience nursing the bear cub on their own breasts.
    After a year of wonderful humane treatment in which the bear lives with the
    families, the bear is sacrificed by various means.

            "The Ainus and Gilyaks kill a bear by shooting it through
    the heart or lungs with an arrow. The wounded bear depicted in
    the cave of Trois-freres is spewing blood from its snout and
    muzzle. The Gilyaks stone a bear before killing it. Small ovals
    on the bear picture in the Trois-Freres cave show where stones
    are striking the body.
            "The Ainus shoots a bear with blunt arrows before putting it
    out of its misery. The bear sculpture of Montespan exibits
    indentations made by arrows of this type or other weapons. The
    gilyaks hand the skin of a dead bear on a framework. The same
    applies to the bear sculpture of Montespan." ~ Ivar Lissner, Man,
    God and Magic, (New York: G. P. Putnam's Sons, 1961), p. 242

    and at the end,

    "A specially selected bowman steps forward, and after a brief
    prayer for the quick death of the victim, he shoots the bear with
    one or tow sharpened bamboo arrows."Timothy Severin, "Vanishing
    Primitive Man," (New York: McGraw-Hill Book Co., 1973), p. 229

    Trois-freres is a paleolithic cave painted long before 7000 years ago.

    They then take the bear head and place it on a tree or pile it in a special
    place. Some Siberian tribes had hundreds of bear heads piled up from this
    sacrifice.

    "Since a bear's skull contains the most tasty part of the
    animal--its brains--and since the leg bones contain the delicious
    marrow, the Tungus have always, from very early times, sacrificed
    them to their god. When I questioned some Orochi and Manega
    about this, they said that they always buried a bear's skeleton
    to pacify the animal's soul but that it was an age-old tradition
    to place the skull of a slaughtered bear in a tree as a sacrifice
    to the supreme god. The practice of laying out the skeleton on a
    platform above ground was a form of burial, but the exposure of
    the head must have been a form of sacrifice. The Tungus are quite
    explicit about this, even today, when they owe allegiance less to
    a supreme god than to a 'lord of the forest and mountain.'" ~
    Ivars Lissner, Man, God and Magic, (New York: G. P. Putnam's Sons, 1961),
    p. 160

    They even have their own form of the Lord's supper in which the blood of the
    bear is drunk:
    "The Japanese scholar K. Koya assumes, probably with
    justification, that the Ainus were the exiled offshoot of some
    main European stock. Attention may be drawn in this connection
    to strange wooden batons which are peculiar to the Ainus and
    probably hail from the Paleolithic period of the Eurasian
    mainland. These small sticks are about a foot long and are
    engraved with double circles (perhaps eyes), wavy lines, stylized
    symbols reminiscent of animals heads and intricate patterns. The
    only things of comparable appearance are the horn batons of the
    Aurignacian and Mousterian. The Ainus' small pointed sticks,
    which are objects of great reverence, have been called
    'beardraisers', but this descriptionis misleading. The Ainus dip
    one into a drinking bowl when sacrificing and allow a few drops
    to fall from it as a libation to the deity. Later, when raising
    the bowl to their lips, they sometimes use the same small stick
    to hold their beards away from the rim. Georges Montadon has
    aptly cristened the sticks baguettes de libation or 'libation
    wands.'" ~ Ivars Lissner, Man, God and Magic, (New York: G.P.
    Putnam's Sons, 1961), p. 237

    The belief behind this is:
    "We now come to the most mysterious feature of the bear cult.
    After his death, the bear is known as chinukara-gur, which means
    'prophet' or 'guardian.' The Ainu use the same word to describe
    the North Star in the constellation of the Little Bear. So it
    seems that from primeval times the civilizations of both the
    Mediterranean and the Ainu have associated this constellation
    with the bear. And up there the soul of the creature, which the
    Ainu believe to be their redeemer and mediator, has its final
    destination." ~ Ivar Lissner, The Living Past, translated by J.
    Maxwell Brownjohn, (New York: G. P. Putnam's Sons, 1957), p. 207

    After discussing a Neanderthal bear skull arrangment, Barnouw writes:
            "There are other implications of religious beliefs held
    by Neanderthals in the collections of bear skulls found in their
    caves. The mere preservation of skulls need not suggest anything
    religious, but in some cases special attention was given to their
    placement. In one cave, five bear skulls were found in niches in
    the cave wall. The skulls of several cave bears in a group have
    been found surrrounded by built-up stone walls, with some skulls
    having little stones placed around them, while others were set
    out on slabs.
            "All this suggests some kind of bear cult, like that
    practiced until quite recently by the Chippewa and other North
    American Indians. After a Chippewa hunter had killed a bear, he
    would cut off the head, which was then decorated with beads and
    ribbons (in the period after contact with Europeans). Some
    tobacco was placed before its nose. The hunter would then make a
    little speech, apologizing to the bear for having had to kill it.
     Bear skulls were preserved and hung up on trees so that dogs and
    wolves could not get at them. Bear ceremonialism of this and
    related kinds had a wide circumpolar distribution--from the Great
    Lakes to the Ainu of northern Japan through various Siberian
    tribes, such as the Ostyaks and the Orochi, to the Finns and
    Lapps of Scandinavia. So wide a distribution of this trait,
    associated as it was with other apparently very early circumpolar
    traits, suggests great age. It is possible, therefore, that some
    aspects of this bear ceremonialsim go back to Middle Paleolithic
    times." ~ Victor Barnouw, An Introduction to Anthropology:
    Physical Antrhopology and Archaeology, Vol. 1, (Homewood,
    Illinois: The Dorsey Press, 1982) p. 156-157

    Here is what was found at Trois-Freres, which was inhabited thousands of
    years prior to your 7000 year 'origin' of animal sacrifice!

         "That the caves were sites not of magical activity but of
    religious or cult observance is demonstrated by two amazing works
    ascribed to Magdalenian man. The Montespan cave in Haute-Garonne
    contains the clay figure of a bear. it is not a particularly
    beautiful piece of sculpture. The discoverer of the Trois-Freres
    cave, Count Begouen, famous French prehistorian, compared it with
    the sort of shapes children make in the snow. The Magdalenian
    artist had not displayed any great virtuosity, nor had he
    produced anything as realistic as the splendid pair of bison at
    Tuc d'Audoubert. Nevertheless, 170 yards from the mouth of the
    Montespan cave in the small low-roofed chamber at its far end,
    Stone-Age man must have had something special in mind. His bear
    had no head, yet there is absolutely no doubt that the figure was
    planned and executed as such from the beginning. There it lay on
    the floor of the cave like an unwieldy sphinx with its thick
    forepaws stretched out in front of it--and between them Count
    Begouen found the skull of a real bear.
          "What was thesignificance of this? The only possible conclusion was
    that a
    real bear's skull was attached to the figure's neck on certain
    occasions or that it was sometimes draped with a complete
    bearskin, head included. Count Begoin established that the
    convex surface of the sculpture had been worn away as though by
    friction, which may mean that the process of draping and
    undraping continued at intervals over a very long period of time.
    Yet another fact was adduced to prove that the skull lying
    between the forepaws had really fallen off the sculpture itself.
     In the center of the abbreviated neck was a triangular
    depression which may once have held the one or wooden peg that
    supported the skull. The hole is so small that some authorities
    have doubted whether it could have been used for such a purpose,
    but if the statue was draped with a whole bearskin still attached
    to the head very little support would have been needed and the
    small triangular hole would have been entirely adequate.
    Describing his discovery, Count Begouin made the following,
    extremely interesting remark; 'We may assume that we found the
    skull at the spot where it had lain ever since the last
    ceremony.'
        "But this is not all. The sculpture was pock-marked all over
    with round, deep holes which looked as though they had been made
    by fingers or sticks. These thirty indentations suggest that the
    figure had been ritually speared or shot with arrows." ~ Ivars
    Lissner, Man, God and Magic, (New York: G. P. Putnam's Sons,1961), p.
    250-251

    Here are some other Neanderthal sites of bear cult activity--Bear sacrifice
    Dick!
    "In the Salzofenhohle, more than six thousand feet up in the
    Totes Gebirge not far from Aussee in Austria, the paleontologist
    and paleobiologist Kurt Ehrenberg found three cave bears' skulls
    which had been accurately ringed with stones. In all three
    cases, charcoal remains were discovered beside or beneath the
    skulls. In Petershohle, bears' skulls had been carefully
    deposited in small holes and niches. In a cupboard-like recess
    in the rock wall, four feet above the floor of the cave, five
    skulls, two femurs and a humerus were found all belonging to cave
    bears. The skulls fell to pieces in the diggers' hands during
    removal. The man responsible for exploring the Petershohle, K.
    Hormann, declared: 'These skeletal remains could not have got up
    there or in there by any natural means.' It seems probable
    therefore that they were a conscious committal to eternity and a
    deliberate sacrifice, not a fortuitous act but a calculated
    gesture toward an exalted and timeless power." ~ Ivars Lissner
    Man, God and Magic, (New York: G. P. Putnam's Sons, 1961), p.
    191-192

     And when we see that activity in the past why would we suddenly think it
    has different motivation.

    I wrote:
    >And let's change the ground rules here. For the future, simply assume I
    >don't believe my own concordance of genesis with science.

    Dick replied:
    >You not only disagree with me, you don't agree with yourself? Glenn,
    >frankly you amaze me!

    What one can't change his ideas? Besides, I don't want to distract you. Pay
    attention to the problems your view has. You haven't in the past but hope
    springs eternal.

    >No longer assume that I am trying to convince anyone of that viewpoint.
    >Assume that I am
    >merely trying to show you places where your view is contradicted by the
    >data. And boy does your view fail to meet any level of anthropological data
    >or physical reality.
    >
    >I believe you have me confused with someone else with whom you differ.
    >Anthropological assumptions change with new findings. What is believed
    >today differs from what was believed only 15 years ago. Where is
    >Homo habilis, for example?

    YECs say the same things about geology, chemistry etc. This is the ultimate
    doubt game. If all else failes, then doubt that science has gotten to any
    truth.

    Dick that is a double edged sword. If the data that I report is subject to
    change with future discovery, then so is yours. Thus, if you feel justified
    ignoring contradictory data because the future might change it, why should
    others not feel justified in rejecting your views because future discoveries
    might change it?

    >But this (the TV show) is a case in point - it's interesting, but I don't
    >care!
    >Anthropological data is in the domain of anthropologists. What happened
    >prior to Adam's entry is not my concern. I only echo what anthropologists
    >report. I have no dog in the fight.

    Yeah, you have a dog in the fight, but your head is in the sand so you can't
    see him!

    >When we get to southern Mesopotamia about 7,000 years ago, then
    >I get interested.

    There is more to the world than Mesopotamia, Dick. Lift your head and look
    around. It is a big, wide world out there full of activities which didn't
    take place in Mesopotamia.

    This is another thing wrong with apologetics. Only look at the data one
    wants to look at. In your case Dick, if it isn't in Mesopotamia, you aren't
    going to look at it. What a self-deceptive way of doing business!!!!

    personal stories of struggle