Re: the Fall of man

From: Tim Morris (sirrommit@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Apr 16 2002 - 23:14:56 EDT

    Mike Satterlee wrote

    > I believe God created us "sinful" for a very good reason. The Bible tells us
    > that "God is love." It also tells us that God chose to create people in his
    > "own image." These things being so, God no doubt wanted to create people whom
    > He could love and who could also love Him. But real love is not able to be
    > coerced from someone through the use of force or threats. Neither is it a
    > mere automatic or robotic response resulting from some sort of previous
    > programming. Because of these things, I believe that in order to have loving
    > relationships with us, God chose to create us as truly free people. Free to
    > choose to love God and His ways or to not love God and His ways. In other
    > words, free to do both right and wrong, free to do both good and evil.

    I have heard this claim, that "real love is not able to be coerced from someone
    through the use of force or threats. Neither is it a mere automatic or robotic
    response resulting from some sort of previous programming," on many occasions.
    However, I have never heard a well thought out explanation of this. About the best
    I've heard is "How could it be any other way?" which is no explanation at all. I'd be
    curious to hear yours.

    Tim