Re: cosmology & polygamy

From: Robert Schneider (rjschn39@bellsouth.net)
Date: Mon Apr 15 2002 - 10:41:09 EDT

    On Slaying the Amalekites:

        Hi, all,
            I'v been gone for the week to attend the Ecumenical Round Table on
    Science, Technology and the Church annual meeting in Louisville, Ky. I was
    relieved not to find 150 messages in my box on return. But, some good
    threads of conversation in the meantime I'm finding interesting.

        One point I should like to pick up on--how we are to read passages in
    the Bible, especially in the OT, that violate what we consider ethical norms
    today. The problem was addressed early on in the Christian tradition by St.
    Augustine. Neither my wife or I are able to put our hands on our copies of
    Augstine's _On Christian Teaching_ (_De doctrina christiana_), but there is
    a key section in that treatise that addresses the problem. I hope my memory
    on this is accurate, and would be glad to get clarifiation from anyone who
    has a copy of the treatise handy.

        Augustine applied what he called "the rule of charity" to the reading of
    a text. If the literal sense of the text seemed to violate that rule, he
    asserted that the text was to be read allegorically. I believe his example
    was God ordering Saul to totally wipe out the Amalekites, every man, woman,
    child, ox and ass. Augustine said that this and like incidents recorded in
    Scripture enjoin behavior that is contrary to this rule of charity, and
    therefore should not be interpreted literally as a guide to Christian life.
    Rather, they are to be pondered and interpreted allegorically: the truth of
    these passages for the Christian lay there rather than in the literal.

        Whatever one thinks of Augustine's hermeneutic on these matters, it is
    clear that he is wrestling with a real problem, the same problem many of us
    wrestle with on such passages, and he recognizes that there is some behavior
    described in the Bible that is not to be taken literally as prescriptions
    for Christian life.

    Bob Schneider