The Real Eve?

From: Shuan Rose (shuanr@boo.net)
Date: Wed Apr 10 2002 - 19:41:28 EDT

      I was watching a promo of a Discovery Science Channel program.The promo
    went as follows:
        "To understand who you are , you have to understand where you are coming
    from. To understand where the human species is coming from, you have to
    watch 'The real Eve', which is coming on..."

      The program is presumably about the so called "Mitochondria Eve". Now, I
    know this is just a TV promo, and that they possibly wanted it to be
    provocative. Well, I was provoked. For there to to be a " real Eve", there
    must be a false Eve to contrast her with. The false Eve is of course the Eve
    of Genesis.
      Obviously, the folks behind the promo have bought into the
    science-religion conflict scenario, in which true science corrects the fake
    origin account that religion has been pushing these many years. its
    important to know that not only YECs believe in the science-religion war,
    but that many atheists are pushing it, AND that it is becoming an article of
    faith in popular culture.
      Is it worth writing a letter to the Discovery Network on the issue?
      is there anything that us ordinary folk can do to counter this "urban
    Myth"?
    Shuan Rose
    2632 N Charles Street, Baltimore MD 21218