RE: GENETICS

From: Collins, Francis (NHGRI) (francisc@exchange.nih.gov)
Date: Sun Apr 07 2002 - 19:53:30 EDT

    Yes, most definitely. It is the degree of DNA sequence similarity (often
    referred to as homology). This rests on the assumption (well proven in
    simple organisms) that there is a constant mutation rate, and hence the
    difference in DNA sequences between two organisms is a function of the time
    since their common ancestor. This kind of analysis turns out to be highly
    useful in practice -- though there is good evidence that the molecular clock
    runs at different speeds in different branches of the evolutionary tree,
    perhaps due to shorter generation times, more error prone DNA copying, or
    greater selective pressure.
            Francis