Re: Who can you trust?

From: Robert Schneider (rjschn39@bellsouth.net)
Date: Fri Apr 05 2002 - 13:42:11 EST

    Allen,

        We all know that news organizations often fail to get the facts
    straight. Keith Miller has given in his 10:41 am message today the web site
    that will allow anyone to compare the two sets of standards. Do that and
    you will see that his summary of the facts in his April 4, 10:10 a.m.
    message is accurate: evolution, big bang, and other historical sciences were
    removed from the creationist standards originally adopted by the Kansas
    school board, which would have had the practical effect of greatly
    discouraging, and if not eliminating the teaching of these sciences from
    most public school science curricula.

        Let me add a note from personal experience. It is hard enough for high
    school science teachers to teach evolution in local schools when there is a
    strong anti-evolution contingent in the community. The first year I taught
    a senior seminar, "Science and Faith," at Berea College, I polled my
    students to find out how many of the 20 had studied evolution in high school
    biology and science courses. Only four had, one of them at a Catholic high
    school. (One of the 16 who didn't said that she attended a "Christian
    school": "We learned our science from the Bible," she said) The refrain
    from the students was, "The teacher skipped that chapter." After hearing
    that a few times, I said, "The teacher probably didn't want to get phone
    calls from irate parents at 10 p.m., complaining about it, or calls from the
    school superintendent yielding to pressure from preachers and parents."
    It's a fact of life in largely rural states like Kentucky, where I taught.
    Kentucky's state board did a lateral arabesque on the issue by replacing the
    word "evolution" in the standards with "change over time." State science
    education organizations and the Kentucky Academy of Sciences formally
    protested and asked for a meeting with the chair of the board. They got
    nowhere. I was indirectly involved in this activity and so I speak from
    personal experience.

        It was also clear from my teaching experience that my students who
    learned about evolution in their churches or Christian schools learned what
    amounts to a caricature of evolution. When Gary Parker spoke at a
    Creationism Seminar in Berea, he said that he teaches evolution to his
    students; but what he described as evolution was also a caricature. It was
    all of a piece with the descriptions of evolution I read in creationist
    literature. And when people like Parker and Ham and their colleagues give a
    "seminar" to local churches, you can bet that the pressure on local science
    teachers to avoid the topic of evolution will increase.

        The accumulation of evidence and experience leads me to only one
    conclusion: YEC activists and other anti-evolutionists will do whatever
    they can to reduce or eliminate the teaching of evolution in the pre-college
    classroom; and their own presentation of it is inaccurate and tendentious.
    I am convinced that they believe that if they can innoculate young people
    early enough then they don't have to worry about those university professors
    teaching it. I saw that phenomenon at Berea College as well. My colleagues
    in the sciences constantly run into students who refuse to learn anything
    about evolution; some become
    upset at having to sit through lectures on it. Some pass out Answers in
    Genesis literature, and then become angry when their professors point out
    the errors in these tracts.

    Bob Schneider