Re: BIBLE: Genesis 1:1 (was Re: Qs for Dr. Collins)

From: Vernon Jenkins (vernon.jenkins@virgin.net)
Date: Thu Apr 04 2002 - 17:42:03 EST

    VR,

    Thanks for writing. Perhaps you'll allow me to preface my reply to your
    questions and comments with a brief recap of relevant matters:

    (1) In my initial response to Bob (2 Apr) I suggested that for historical
    (Hebrew and Greek schemes of alphabetic numeration), scriptural (Rev.13:18)
    and numerical (the absolute structures of numerical geometry) reasons the
    potential for an exercise of the kind we are now discussing has existed for
    some considerable time.

    (2) I further suggested that that potential is now observed to be realised
    particularly (but not exclusively) in the Hebrew of the Bible's first verse
    and the Greek of the Creator's name. Clearly, such securely founded phenomena
    are in keeping with biblical principles and expectations, and are an integral
    part of God's Inspired Word to man. That they have come to light in our day
    can't be without significance.

    (3) Interestingly, the emergence of these phenomena over the past 25 or so
    years has been accompanied by a marked antagonistic psychological reaction in
    those to whom they have been revealed. Such acute cognitive dissonance has
    been repeatedly observed in respect of forays on this list, and elsewhere.

    (4) We therefore find that the discovery of the coordinated biblical phenomena
    has released another - apparently unrelated - phenomenon; a most interesting
    example of cause and effect - and, I believe, proof of God's strictures
    concerning man - commonly (though euphemistically) referred to as original
    sin.

    (5) Man's attitude to the things of God now being revealed for what it really
    is, how can he be trusted to correctly divine the truths regarding of his
    origin - having rejected his Maker's account of how it happened, and the time
    scale involved?

    VR, having laid this foundation I am now better able to proceed to address
    your specific questions and comments.

    What do these phenomena accomplish? They certainly affirm the supernatural
    origin of the Bible and the reality of God's being and sovereignty. But, in
    addition, they bring to the light a fundamental truth concerning man, viz his
    antipathy toward God, and the things of God - even after his becoming a
    Christian.

    How does this give us further revelation? They reveal something more of God's
    character - in particular, the extent to which He is prepared to go, and the
    means He is prepared to adopt, to confirm the truth of the gospel and to save
    those who have rejected or compromised His Word.

    How is God glorified? His status as God Almighty and Creator is surely
    elevated and underlined by these phenomena. Clearly, He is bigger and more
    able than we can ever have imagined.

    Finally, regarding your comment,

    "The problems I see are - if you merely analyze words with this technique it
    would argue more for the supernatural aspects of the Hebrew language than the
    Bible. And if you start analyzing phrases using this technique you suffer the
    same problems as does the other Bible code i.e. any change in the text (EVER)
    would completely destroy or manufacture false information."

    It is claimed that ELS (Equidistant Letter Sequences) - which lie at the root
    of what Drosnin describes in his book - are the key to the unlocking of
    information believed to pervade the Torah and other Judaeo-Christian texts. I
    make no such wide-ranging claim in respect of the verses of the Hebrew,
    Aramaic and Greek originals. The facts appear to be that the coordinated
    numerical geometries involving the uniquely symmetrical number 37 are largely
    confined to the Bible's opening assertion and the name of its principal
    character. It seems that these - together with a relatively small number of
    other significant relationships - have been deemed sufficient by their Author
    to achieve the purpose for which they were designed.

    Sincerely,

    Vernon

    http://www.otherbiblecode.com