Griffin's understanding of creation

From: Ted Davis (tdavis@messiah.edu)
Date: Wed Apr 03 2002 - 13:03:52 EST

    Howard has quoted David Griffin's definition of God, which at first glance
    sounds like it is consistent with Howard's own idea of God "gifting" the
    creation with certain creaturely capacities, but I very much doubt this.
    Griffin rejects entirely the notion of a God who can or does act
    "supernaturally," whereas some type of "supernatural" activity certainly
    seems (to me, at least) to be required of a creator who can determine the
    nature of nature. For Griffin, God (like Plato's demiurge) is coeval with
    matter/energy, the properties of which God did not determine. (I think this
    is accurate--it certainly describes much of what passes for process
    theology. If Griffin actually says otherwise, I invite correction.) I rest
    my case.

    Ted Davis