RE: Science and religion: two ways of knowing

From: Shuan Rose (shuanr@boo.net)
Date: Mon Apr 01 2002 - 18:07:00 EST

    -----Original Message-----
    From: asa-owner@lists.calvin.edu [mailto:asa-owner@lists.calvin.edu]On
    Behalf Of Keith B Miller
    Sent: Monday, April 01, 2002 3:24 PM
    To: asa@calvin.edu
    Subject: Re: Science and religion: two ways of knowing

    I think that Shuan's summary of the nature of science is expressed well.
    It is very close to how I present the issue.

    Thanks Keith

     One possible way that this
    "two ways of knowing" approach can be misunderstood, is that they can be
    seen as being Hermetically sealed off from each other. This can end up as
    Gould's "Non-overlapping Magisteria" idea.

    Frankly, I was worried about this. I think that Gould had the admirable
    goal of trying to reconcile religion and science, but many people seem
    unhappy with the compromise that he struck

    But just because science and
    theology (I prefer the term theology to religion) have distinct ways of
    knowing does not mean that they cannot or do not influence each other.

    I agree with you that they do and should influence each other, although I am
    a bit unclear on how they should

    Below is something a put together dealing with the nature of science. I
    think you will see a lot of common points with Shuan's post.
    (Snip great stuff)

    BTW, keith, is it true that you are working on a book on the whole
    science-religion thing? If you are , how's it coming?

    Keith

    Keith B. Miller
    Department of Geology
    Kansas State University