RE: Brachiators On Our Family Tree? (Common ancestry - direct evidence?)

From: Dick Fischer (dickfischer@earthlink.net)
Date: Sun Mar 31 2002 - 11:23:49 EST

    Jim Hoffman found Edward Max's updated (March 19, 2002) article,
    "Plagiarized Errors and Molecular Genetics."

    ><http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/molgen/>http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/molgen/

    This article contains an excellent explanation of DNA. For those whose
    body of knowledge may be "genetically challenged," this is about as easy to
    understand as it gets. Plus, the argument is compeling that copying errors
    in our DNA provide genetic markers by which we can be assured we are
    connected to the phyletic tree of life. Dr. Max does give sort of a
    disclaimer which I found interesting:

    "Clearly the "shared errors" argument provides strong evidence for
    macroevolutionary changes in the evolution of mammals, and therefore
    refutes a commonly held creationist position. But to be fair we should be
    clear that this argument does not buy the whole evolutionist ballgame.
    Although the evidence of shared errors implies common descent of diverse
    mammalian species, it does not address whether these species evolved from
    their last common ancestors through the Darwinian mechanisms of mutation
    and natural selection or through other alternative mechanisms. Another
    limitation is that there are no examples of "shared errors" that link
    mammals to other branches of the genealogic tree of life on earth. For
    example, although species as diverse as worms, yeast and plants have LINE
    elements in their genomes, no examples of specific LINE insertions at
    homologous positions between any mammal and non-mammal have been reported
    to my knowledge (though I welcome input on this point from readers). Such
    examples might be expected to be hard to find, since the last common
    ancestors of mammals and reptiles are thought to have lived more than 200
    million years ago, long enough that sequence similarities that once existed
    in functionless DNA like pseudogenes and retroposons may have been largely
    obliterated by the accumulation of numerous mutations. Therefore, the
    evolutionary relationships between distant branches on the evolutionary
    genealogic tree must rest on other evidence besides "shared errors." (Such
    evidence might include other "rare genomic changes" (RGCs) besides
    retroposon insertion, such as intron insertion or deletion, chromosomal
    translocations and inversions revealed by comparative cytogenetics, and
    variants in the genetic code, all summarized in Rokas and Holland, Trends
    Ecol & Evol 15:454, 2000); species relatedness can also be inferred from
    traditional sequence similarity trees based comparisons of the
    corresponding genes from different species. As a final and rather obvious
    limitation of the "shared errors" argument, it should be clear that this
    argument does not bear on origin-of-life issues, which creationists
    commonly lump with evolution."

    If we accept that humans are related by common ancestry to higher primates,
    and indeed lower primates, old-world monkeys, etc., as we journey back in
    geological time, this effectively rules out two of the methods of apology
    that have proliferated in the Christian community - young-earth creationism
    and old-earth creationism - also called "progressive creation." The sooner
    we move beyond these stumbling stones, and rule out these fatally flawed
    methods of apology, the better in my estimation.

    The group of Christians who recognize mutual shared common ancestry, can be
    further divided into two groups. The big group (liberals) regard the first
    eleven chapters of Genesis as allegory, poetry, tradition, mythology,
    fiction, or some category that will allow the narrative to be "true" (or at
    least relevant) theologically, but discounted as having historical value.

    The smaller group (tiny is a better word), is stuck with having to make
    sense of it all. That is: recognizing the connectedness of biological life
    including humans, and recognizing a historical Genesis. This group must
    acknowledge the historicity of Adam, Noah and the intervening patriarchs,
    and place them in a historical setting. To the best of my knowledge, there
    are only two possibilities. Adam either started the human race some 4 - 6
    million years ago, and thus is our ultimate ancestor, or Adam was inserted
    into the human race much later, about 7,000 years ago, for example.

    If Adam was actually created, however, out of the dust of the earth, and
    had no biological parents, then a late date for Adam is the only
    possibility. We cannot all be connected on the biological tree of life,
    and also be descended from someone who was specially created. It is either
    one or the other. But even if Adam had natural parents, he had to live
    sometime, somewhere. For those of you who remember, that was the thrust of
    the articles published in PSCF about eight years ago titled, "In Search of
    the Historical Adam."

    http://www.asa3.org/ASA/topics/Evolution/PSCF12-93Fisher.html#Part%201

    http://www.asa3.org/ASA/topics/Evolution/PSCF3-94Fisher.html#Part%202

    In short, if Darwin and Moses both got their facts right (Well, Darwin made
    at least a couple of mistakes.), then the method of apology I have
    advocated the last six years on this forum should at least vie for
    consideration on the grand stage of Christian apologetics. And that is: a
    historical Adam who was inserted into the human race to bring us into
    accountability. (Okay, he failed.) A toehold could become a foothold, and
    eventually, with a little publicity, this method of apology could become a
    unifying force for liberals and conservatives. (What a Pollyanna I am!)

    Dick Fischer - The Origins Solution - www.orisol.com
    "The answer we should have known about 150 years ago"