RE: Brachiators On Our family Tree? (Common ancestry - direct ev idence?)

From: Collins, Francis (NHGRI) (francisc@exchange.nih.gov)
Date: Mon Mar 25 2002 - 20:16:33 EST

    Hello to ASAers,
            It's a little hard to know where to jump in to this traffic! The
    sequence divergence between human and chimp is now estimated at 1.2%. While
    this was originally based on hybridization kinetics, more recent data
    depends on actual sequencing. A significant recent reference, which
    compares 19 million randomly chosen base pairs of chimp to the entire human
    genome, is:

    Science 2002 Jan 4;295(5552):131-4 Construction and analysis of a
    human-chimpanzee comparative clone map. Fujiyama A, Watanabe H, Toyoda A,
    Taylor TD, Itoh T, Tsai SF, Park HS, Yaspo ML, Lehrach H, Chen Z, Fu G,
    Saitou N, Osoegawa K, de Jong PJ, Suto Y, Hattori M, Sakaki Y.

            These authors find overall 98.77% identity. Of course the identity
    is even higher in coding regions.
            To be accurate, however, the 1.2% difference reflects the degree of
    mismatching of bases, and doesn't include insertions and deletions of more
    than a few base pairs. My own guess from recent data is that as much as 1%
    of the genome may be involved in these insertions and deletions of hundreds
    to thousands of base pairs. So perhaps we should be careful about quoting
    the 1.2% number as THE answer.
            Francis Collins