RE: Marcus Borg

From: Adrian Teo (ateo@whitworth.edu)
Date: Mon Mar 25 2002 - 12:13:49 EST

    Hello Hoss,

    -----Original Message-----
    From: Hoss Radbourne
    To: ateo@whitworth.edu <mailto:ateo@whitworth.edu> ; asa@calvin.edu
    <mailto:asa@calvin.edu>

    Sent: 3/21/2002 3:12 PM
    Subject: RE: Marcus Borg

    <<<Thirdly, I am interested in why you would be "troubled deeply" by
    anything
    he writes. He is simply presenting his own POV, different from the
    conventional many of us, including Borg himself, grew up with.>>>

    I was troubled because as a new convert at that time, I thought (and still
    do) my new faith rested on the historicity of Jesus, not just as a guru, but
    as Messiah, and the historicity of his resurrection. Today, as a more
    slightly more mature Christian, I am troubled by the willingness of scholars
    to throw out traditional understandings that took centuries to develop, in
    favor of novel ones that are highly speculative and founded on the view of
    history through naturalism.

    <<<My own inclination has been , for many years, to concentrate on reading
    authors with whom I am in tension -- with whom I do not agree. I can
    learn
    from this activity. I even read "Acts & Facts" from ICR on a regular
    basis!
    And Gould, Sagan and Dawkins.

    Let me recommend to you the book Borg co-wrote with a conservative
    Christian, Ned Wright. It is a fascinating dialog on two very different
    views, written by two persons who respect each other. Not at home right
    now
    -- so I don't recall the title -- sorry.

    O did hear Borg preach on one occasion. The gospel message was evident.>>>

    If I were Borg, I would ask myself why even bother to preach the gospel
    message that has no grounding in history, and may just very well be entirely
    the invention of humans. But I'm not, and apparently, Borg has found some
    OTHER reason for the faith he holds.

    Adrian.