Re: C. S. Lewis Hymn for Evolution

From: Robert Schneider (rjschn39@bellsouth.net)
Date: Fri Mar 22 2002 - 16:02:49 EST

    Lewis was clearly inspired to this parody by the hymn "Lead Us, Heavenly Father, Lead Us," well known to Episcopalians (Hymnal 1982, #559) and Anglicans in England. The original hymn was composed by James Edmeston (1791-1967), and the traditional tune (which I was humming in my head before I realized what the words are) is "Dulce Carmen" (1788), harmonized by William Henry Monk (1823-1889). I can imagine that my dear Anglo-Catholic brother in Christ and in the Church had sung it many times.

    Grace and peace,
    Bob Schneider