Poetic Science

From: Don Perrett (don.perrett@verizon.net)
Date: Thu Mar 21 2002 - 21:17:44 EST

    Poetry of Joyce Kilmer
    Trees and Other Poems
    To add to the concept of science text vs. literary license. I submit the
    following.

    Trees

    (For Mrs. Henry Mills Alden)

    I think that I shall never see
    A poem lovely as a tree.

    A tree whose hungry mouth is prest
    Against the earth's sweet flowing breast;

    A tree that looks at God all day,
    And lifts her leafy arms to pray;

    A tree that may in Summer wear
    A nest of robins in her hair;

    Upon whose bosom snow has lain;
    Who intimately lives with rain.

    Poems are made by fools like me,
    But only God can make a tree.

    While this poem in no way was intended to be a factual scientific text to
    describe a tree, it can be proven scientifically that a tree does in fact
    have it's roots(hungry mouth) in the ground(earth's breast). It is also a
    "fact" that trees stand high up, closer to God(per se) than we. Also fact,
    birds do land and live in trees. Fact: trees do get snowed on and
    requires(intimately lives) rain. And just as anyone can write a poem, only
    God could inspire the Bible.

    Point: Language, culture, history, science does not change the fact that
    while the Bible was not intended to be a science book, it has and will
    continue to be proven by science and historians alike. This is all the more
    reason to be in wonder of God and how he is able to speak through us using
    our own words but speaking the truth and "fact".

    Don P