RE: Marcus Borg

From: Hoss Radbourne (hoss_radbourne@hotmail.com)
Date: Thu Mar 21 2002 - 18:12:44 EST

    Adrian wrote: "I read Borg's Jesus: A New Vision years ago, and was troubled
    deeply by his assertions. He made little sense to me. What is so impressive
    about Borg anyway?"

    First of all, I find Borg stimulating; he makes me think deeply about some
    things I had been taking all too much for granted.

    Secondly, I do not agree with some of his claims, but in deciding that I did
    not, I had to think through my reasons for rejecting one or more of his
    arguments.

    Thirdly, I am interested in why you would be "troubled deeply" by anything
    he writes. He is simply presenting his own POV, different from the
    conventional many of us, including Borg himself, grew up with.

    My own inclination has been , for many years, to concentrate on reading
    authors with whom I am in tension -- with whom I do not agree. I can learn
    from this activity. I even read "Acts & Facts" from ICR on a regular basis!
    And Gould, Sagan and Dawkins.

    Let me recommend to you the book Borg co-wrote with a conservative
    Christian, Ned Wright. It is a fascinating dialog on two very different
    views, written by two persons who respect each other. Not at home right now
    -- so I don't recall the title -- sorry.

    O did hear Borg preach on one occasion. The gospel message was evident.

    Hoss