Re: What is an "Evangelical"?

From: Joel Moore (redsoxfan_1977@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Mar 20 2002 - 09:58:19 EST

    Hello Bob,

    A few sources come to mind that have defined evangelicalism for academic
    purposes.

    Green, Guth, Kellstedt, Smidt use a definition based on practices
    (frequency of church attendance, bible reading, belief that one is born
    again, and so on) for polling. They are all political scientists
    (Kellstedt just retired from Wheaton College) trying to get a handle on
    the political attitudes, beliefs, and practices as related to religious
    beliefs. They have published numerous articles in Books & Culture (a
    Christianity Today publication with some content available at
    www.christianitytoday.com/books/) over the last several years and also
    wrote a book called _Religion and the Culture Wars: Dispatches from the
    Front_ (Rowman & Littlefield, 1996) that probably lays out their
    methodology in some detail.

    Mark Noll (_Scandal of the Evangelical Mind_, _Turning Points_ and also
    from Wheaton College) has used David Bebbington's (a British historian) 4
    part definition of evangelicalism in several of his works including
    _American Evangelical Christianity (AEI): An Introduction_ (Blackwell,
    2001) and also I believe in the introduction to _God and Mammon:
    Protestants, Money, and the Market, 1790-1860_ (Oxford University Press,
    2002). The definition he uses may be your best bet as it is succinct, and
    after looking at the table of contents for AEI, the first section might be
    a great place to start for a working definition. He also has some polling
    data in the second chapter of AEI done by the Angus Reid group that might
    be helpful (it looks at evangelical Catholics amongst other things).

    Christian Smith (& Michael Emerson), _American Evangelicalism: Embattled
    and Thriving_ (University of Chicago Press, 1998) might be another place
    to look. They come at it from a sociological perspective and I believe
    allow people to define themselves as evangelicals and look at
    evangelicalism using the methods of polling and interviews.

    I own _Religion and the Culture Wars_ and _American Evangelical
    Christianity_ so if you can't get your hands on anything helpful let me
    know and perhaps I can flip through them and type in some of the
    definitions and helpful material.

    Joel Moore

    --- Robert Schneider <rjschn39@bellsouth.net> wrote:
    > Dear Colleagues,
    > May I have your help in a project I am about to undertake? In the
    > latest PSCF, Willem Drees, in an piece entitled "Can We Reclaim One of
    > the 'Stolen Words'?", suggests that "Evangelical may be one more such
    > ['stolen'] term, which is in the process of losing the wider meanings it
    > had., becoming more and more a particular style within the
    > Protestantism."
    >
    > How one understands and defines "evangelical" is significant for
    > my project.
    [SNIP]
      How