Re: Troy's two cents

From: Jan de Koning (jan@dekoning.ca)
Date: Tue Mar 19 2002 - 10:31:52 EST

    At 04:04 PM 17/03/02 +0000, Jim Eisele wrote:
    >Troy writes
    >
    > >e) I believe that the original autographs of scripture were inspired by
    >God.
    > >I believe that they are completely authoritative. I also believe that they
    > >have been destroyed. Not one shred of any of it remains. If God did not
    > >preserve his word, then he is a liar and a fruitcake, and I want no part of
    > >him. (Psalm 12:6-7). If he did preserve his word, then it is here. Now
    > >where is it? I have made my choice. If you don't like my choice, lump it,
    > >or blow it out your ear for all I care.
    >
    >Troy, I see no constructive value in your last statement.
    >
    >Why would God have wasted the NIV, NASB, NKJV, RSV, etc. etc. etc. etc.
    >etc. people's time? Not to mention all foreign translations.
    >
    >Jim

    Jim,
    You are not complete. Copying and translating is human work, so to make
    sure that they do what they say the people like Troy should read the Bible
    in the original Hebrew and Greek, in so far as it is available.
    Mind you many of us get a much richer experience of reading the Bible by
    knowing some Hebrew and Greek. It makes you see as well that translators
    had a certain philosophy before starting translating, so that words are
    translated into English by different words, as I have shown in the past in
    a few cases. I wonder how some literalists deal with those cases.
    Jan de K.