Templeton Prize for Polkinghorne

From: SteamDoc@aol.com
Date: Sat Mar 16 2002 - 22:54:09 EST

    In the flurry of noise here the last few days, one news item has been
    overlooked. Every year the Templeton Foundation gives out a big prize for
    "Progress Toward Research or Discoveries about Spiritual Realities."
    Whatever that means ... but it often goes to people relating science and
    faith. The Templeton Foundation is not specifically Christian, and a variety
    of people with a variety of perspectives (including the agnostic physicist
    Freeman Dyson) have won the prize in past years. Mother Teresa got one also,
    so there's been variety.

    This year, I was glad to see the prize going to a Christian: John
    Polkinghorne, prominent British physicist (Fellow of the Royal Society) and
    ordained Anglican priest. His writings on science and Christianity are, in
    my opinion, some of the best material out there today (even though he is
    sometimes a bit theologically "liberal" for my personal taste). My
    recommended starting point for those who want to see what he has to say is
    "Belief in God in an Age of Science"; I know others here like "Faith of a
    Physicist." His books are not very introductory, but worth the effort if
    you're willing to give some serious thought.

    More about the award, including a bio of Polkinghorne, can be found under
    www.templeton.org.

    Allan
    Dr. Allan H. Harvey, Boulder, Colorado | SteamDoc@aol.com
    "Any opinions expressed here are mine, and should not be
     attributed to my employer, my wife, or my cats"