Re: ASA Perspective

From: george murphy (gmurphy@raex.com)
Date: Sat Mar 16 2002 - 20:58:56 EST

    Vernon Jenkins wrote:

    > Hi George,
    >
    > Thanks for your comments. Please forgive the delay in my responding.
    >
    > > GM: "Vernon raises a valid question here: If we take the idea of original sin
    > seriously, how can we trust our reasoning about the world that leads to conclusions
    > such as evolutionary theory, the age of the earth, &c?"
    >
    > VJ: I'm glad you see the relevance of my observations to the matters discussed in
    > this forum. However, I believe the biblical strictures concerning man's essential
    > nature to be more penetrative than you seem prepared to admit, and observe that you
    > immediately confirm my thesis by introducing the euphemism _original sin_.

    > This, you
    > must agree, severely blunts the potency of the biblical text, viz "enemy of God,
    > creature of evil imaginations, deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked" -
    > and effectively consigns them to the underside of the carpet!

            "Original sin" is no euphemism but a summary description of the fact that all
    human beings start life in the condition that you describe.

    > So the question
    > remains, How does it come about that a body of Christians (reliably informed of this
    > general affliction) coolly ignore so fundamental a matter when engaging in debate on
    > how they and the world came to be?
    >
    > > GM: But as an objection to those conclusions, the argument won't hold up. First,
    > original sin has to do primarily with our relationship with God - we are unable to
    > have "true fear of God and true faith in God." Of course that has implications for
    > the way we deal with other people and the natural world as well. But even those who
    > have held a very tough view of original sin have not denied that the natural human
    > being is capable of understanding the 10 Commandments as civil law, and are able to
    > refrain from murder, adultery, &c. I.e., even fallen humanity is capable of
    > functioning in the world - & this requires some understanding of the world.
    >
    > VJ: By suggesting that man is able, of himself, to control his natural bias toward
    > evil you are misinterpreting the clear words of Scripture. The truth is that God has
    > done, and continues to do, much to override many of man's malevolent designs - thus
    > preventing him from consigning himself and the world to annihilation. I believe the
    > term 'common grace' is used to describe this divine overlay of restraining
    > influence..

            What I have said is that that unregenerate humans are able to satisfy the second
    table of the law. Of course that doesn't happen without God's preservation, concurrence,
    and governance. Nothing does.

    > > GM: Secondly, no one raises the original sin objection to the results of science
    > when they're not being related to issues of origins or age of the earth. When nuclear
    > physicists measure decay rates of some isotopes carefully & say that half a sample
    > _would_ decay in 4.5 x 10^9 yr or whatever, nobody says "But original sin is
    > distorting your reason so we can't trust that result." It's then incumbent on the
    > person raising this objection to the age of the earth to say at just what stage of
    > applications of scientific results to radioactive dating original sin introduces an
    > error.
    >
    > VJ: I was not suggesting that a scientist would blatantly lie when recording his
    > actual observations - though he might choose to ignore those that did not meet his
    > preconceived ideas of what they should be. But, as a physicist, you will know that
    > the step from 'observation' to 'interpretation' involves certain (usually unwritten)
    > assumptions.

            Certainly. So point out the incorrect interpretations involved in radiometric
    dating which lead to an age of ~4.5 x 10^9 years.
            Original sin, profound as you wish to make it, has disappeared from the problem.
    Show what's wrong with the scientific argument. If you can't do that then you're reduced
    to just saying in general terms that there _must_ be something wrong with it because of
    sin. & that could be said about any scientific claim, leaving us with no certainty that
    we know anything about the world.

    Shalom,

    George

    George L. Murphy