Re: Troy's two cents.

From: Walter Hicks (wallyshoes@mindspring.com)
Date: Sat Mar 16 2002 - 17:51:09 EST

    Troy Elliott Eckhardt wrote:

    > I must confess that I have Young Earth Creationist leanings, but that I do
    > not claim to have it all worked out. The workings of it all, however, are
    > the be-all, end-all of neither my existence nor my salvation.

    Some on this listserve would claim that most people who believe in a
    young earth feel that it NECESSARY for a Christina to believe in a young
    earth. Do you have many acquaintances who lean as you do and how do they
    feel about this.

    > I must also confess that I recognize only the Authorized (King James) Bible
    > as scripture in English. (Do I hear feathers rustling?) There are too many
    > differences between the versions for them all to be correct. I also don't
    > care for, nor do I intend to initiate, a debate on this issue. I have
    > debated it before, heard all of the arguments both for and against, analyzed
    > the situation, and have made a personal decision. Either there is absolute
    > authority, or there is not. This decision is based on my belief in the
    > inspiration of the Textus Receptus over the Latin Vulgate, if you really
    > want to know.

    I believe that is a very good position. Others have quoted later
    translations as resolving some issues -- but that could well be because
    they were "interpretations" instead of "translations".

    > I understand that yom (day, era, time, etc.) can mean several things when
    > translated into English.
    >
    > The clincher for me in the "what is a day?" discussion is "and the evening
    > and the morning were the nth day." I wonder if we cannot trust the word
    > "day" in the Bible, whether we can trust the words eternal, life, atonement,
    > blood, redemption, salvation, etc. My concern is that either the Bible is
    > true or not. If it is not perfectly true, then I can throw it into the cult
    > section of my library, which may include works and references which some of
    > the readers of this forum may hold in reverence, therefore I wont name them.
    > Suffice it to say that I believe the entire Bible, and I believe it
    > literally. Merely because I cannot understand portions of scripture does not
    > prove the fallibility of its author, conversely, it proves my own.
    >
    > I also understand that light was created on the first day, dividing light
    > (Day) from darkness (Night) , but that the lights in the heaven were created
    > on the fourth day.

    That particular sequence is what "Big Bang" theory would say also. Light
    (electromagnetic force) came about in the first second of time while
    matter and stars came later. (For what it is worth.)

    And I too wonder how there could be days and nights for

    --
    Walt Hicks <wallyshoes@mindspring.com>

    In any consistent theory, there must
    exist true but not provable statements.