RE: ASA Perspectives

From: Jan de Koning (jan@dekoning.ca)
Date: Fri Mar 15 2002 - 13:34:24 EST

    At 11:46 AM 15/03/02 -0600, Don P. wrote:

    >At 10:45 AM 15/03/02 -0600, Don Perrett wrote:
    > >Regarding the idea of how the people of the OT saw there world, nature this
    > >is, can anyone say for certainty whether Genesis was written based upon the
    > >views of the day, or were the views of the day based upon their
    > >interpretation of the text itself?

    Neither. I think, that Gen. 1 - 11 are at best a fast overview of what
    happened, but not as a "science" text, but more as "poetry." Also, that
    people of our time try to read texts of the past, as if people in the past
    would talk as we do, in the same categories, in the same types of settings,
    with meanings, that we think we understand. God meant to tell us
    something, but it needs a lot of study of backgrounds etc,, of words, of
    literature. That cannot properly be done on this forum. I spent far too
    much time this week on repeating myself, and I am still not understood
    apparently. So wait for about half a year, and I will be drawn into a
    discussion like this on this forum again, with out being able to resist.

    Jan