ASA Perspectives

From: Don Perrett (don.perrett@verizon.net)
Date: Fri Mar 15 2002 - 13:05:44 EST

    We certainly cannot assume that we (today's theology) are correct either.
    Many years from now someone may come along and say that we were wrong. But
    seeking the truth is the goal, not necessarily knowing the truth (although
    this would be great). If God was only concerned with what was understood by
    ancient people and placed the texts in context to the understanding of the
    day in order for them to believe, then why not just say that there is more
    than one God. Was this not the accepted belief of the time? God set out to
    distinguish himself from the beliefs of the time, not to follow such
    incorrect thinking. While there were other mono-theistic beliefs, it was not
    accepted or shared by many, aside from the Hebrews. Many of our religious
    practices today are more ancient and paganistic than even Abraham would have
    liked. I am not criticizing anyone however. Each of us must find our own
    truth. My concern goes back to the idea that when Judeo-Christian and
    Islamic beliefs being to come together, our children will have a better
    ground to stand on, without the confusion of science vs. religion.
    Don P