Basil et al (Was Re: ASA Perspective)

From: george murphy (gmurphy@raex.com)
Date: Tue Mar 12 2002 - 20:35:32 EST

            Allen posted citations from Basil's _Hexaemeron_ in order to
    show that he was a YEC. One would hardly be surprised that he and
    others of the fathers thought that the earth was young since there was
    no scientific evidence at all that it wasn't. To assume that they would
    have said the same things today, with the wealth of scientific evidence
    that exists for the great age of the earth and the universe, is an
    insult to them. It is of a piece with thinking that Newton would still
    insist on absolute space & time today, or that Jefferson, if alive in
    21st century America, would be willing to tolerate slavery.
            What is of greater interest is the fact that many of the fathers
    saw clearly that Genesis teaches a mediated creation of life, with the
    waters and the earth "bringing forth" living things when God willed it.
    This is not biological evolution but the fundamental idea is crucial for
    an evolutionary understanding of creation. & it contradicts the notion
    that there must be something miraculous about the origin of living
    things.
            The views of the fathers (especially Ephrem, Gregory of Nyssa,
    Basil, Chrysostom, Ambrose & Augustine) was dealt with in detail in the
    RC theologian Ernest C. Messenger's _Evolution and Theology_ (Macmillan,
    NY, 1932). Unfortunately this book is very difficult to find. (I have
    a copy xeroxed from the one at the U. of Iowa.)
            Messenger argues, from a careful study of the writings of
    Basil's brother Gregory of Nyssa, that he came very close to an
    evolutionary understanding of humanity: That it was necessary for the
    human to pass succesively through stages of mere "vegetative" soul
    through one with an "animate" soul before reaching the stage of the
    rational soul and full humanity. Of course this is not modern
    evolutionary theory but it suggests that Gregory might have been open to
    evolutionary theories made convincing by science.

    Shalom,

    George

    George L. Murphy
    http://web.raex.com/~gmurphy/