Re: Human origins and doctrine

From: george murphy (gmurphy@raex.com)
Date: Fri Mar 01 2002 - 12:48:28 EST

    Adrian Teo wrote:

    > Hello George,

            On 23 February I wrote (in a spin-off from this thread that I titled
    "original sin"), among other things, the following:

    _____________________
            The eastern tradition, represented by Irenaeus, sees humanity as
    having been created without sin but in an immature & childlike state.
    Humanity was intended to grow, to develop toward a final state of righteous
    maturity in union with God. The first sin then was not so much a matter of
    an abrupt "fall" but of getting off the proper road.

            To this point I've just been reviewing traditional beliefs. But no
    the question is, can we make sense of the basic ideas of the church's
    tradition here if human beings are the result of evolution. (& of course I
    mean there evolution through which God has been acting.) If so, how?

            First, the basic idea that all human beings are sinners & in need of
    salvation by Christ is not touched by concerns about how we originated many
    generations ago. In my view the western emphasis on the seriousness of the
    sinful condition of humanity is appropriate.

            But then the idea of an "original righteousness" of the first humans
    comes into question. Especially the ideas often held in the west, that the
    first humans had tremendous wisdom & other special attributes that we have
    lost is very implausible with an evolutionary scenario. The eastern view,
    that humanity began in an immature state, seems closer to the mark.

            But we can't simply think of the first humans as moral or
    intellectual blank slates who could just
    as well have avoided sin as sinned. What we know of evolution suggests that
    the first humans (however we choose to define them) would have inherited a
    heavy genetic &/or behavioral load inclining them toward behaviors that we
    would consider sinful - aggression, sexual promiscuity, theft, &c. These
    behaviors would not have been sin in their ancestors who were not moral
    agents, but would have been sinful in moral agents. & with those inherited
    tendencies it's very hard to see how those first moral agents could have
    avoided sin.

            We can still say that sin is not part of what constitutes proper
    human nature, but in the course of real evolutionary history sin could not be
    avoided. Sin is not "necessary" but it was "inevitable."

            In brief, I think an eastern metaphor of "taking the wrong road"
    (with the consequence of all humanity getting "lost in the woods") is better
    than the western metaphor of "the fall," especially if we are concerned to
    make theological sense of human evolution.
    ______________________________
            "Getting off the road" is of course a metaphor, as is "fall." Its
    point is that humanity as a whole has gotten into a condition in its
    development very far from what God intended. It is a condition in which people
    from the beginning of life are unable to "have true fear of God and true faith
    in God" and are inclined toward sinful acts.
            In a sense this is an "environmental" view of sin in contrast to an
    hereditary one. But the distinction is not always as sharp as it's pictured.
    E.g., fetal alcohol syndrome is not genetic but environmental - i.e., due to
    the uterine environment in which the fetus has developed. But there is also a
    sense in which it is "hereditary" since the child has this condition from birth
    from its mother.
            The discussion of some modern Roman Catholic theologians on "structures
    of sin" in society may also be helpful here but I haven't been able to give
    much attention to this.

    Shalom,

    George

    George L. Murphy