Re: Date of genesis 1

From: bivalve (bivalve@mail.davidson.alumlink.com)
Date: Mon Feb 25 2002 - 17:43:19 EST

    As a counter to the perception that acceptance of evolution implies a rejection of conservative views on the Bible (a view I have not seen on this list but have seen elsewhere), it may be worth noting that I do not see particular reason not to consider the Pentateuch as essentially Mosaic. Certainly some later phrases have come in, e.g. From Dan to Beersheba, and the occasional notes about to this day, the account of Moses' death, etc. point to later editorial comments and final compilation. However, arguments for the lateness of doctrine or laws seem to require assumptions about the development of ideas, when ideas can develop at various rates and in various ways. Such arguments also may assume a limit on God's expression of foresight through premptive legislation.

    On the specific issue of worshiping the sun, moon, and stars, their general popularity for worship and the need for a categorical statement ruling out all worship of creation would both have been known to an author at the time of the exodus. "Did YHWH create heavenly objects or just earthly ones?" seems like an obvious question that needed answering. My perspective is colored by an Old Testament course in which the professor claimed that regulations about grain offerings must postdate the exodus because they could not have grown grain while wandering.

    Although fertility gods seem to have been the most popular objects of idolatry in Israel (how many people would choose getting up before dawn to bow to the sun over a chance for sexual debauchery?), Amos 5:26 accused the Israelites of following astrological deities during the exodus and of continuing similar disobedience to his day. Assyrian astrological deities were a problem in Isaiah's day due to Ahaz and Manassah, and Jeremiah and Ezekiel condemn worship of astrological deities in the immediate pre-exilic period.

        Dr. David Campbell
        Old Seashells
        46860 Hilton Dr #1113
        Lexington Park MD 20653 USA
        bivalve@mail.davidson.alumlink.com

    That is Uncle Joe, taken in the masonic regalia of a Grand Exalted Periwinkle of the Mystic Order of Whelks-P.G. Wodehouse, Romance at Droigate Spa

    From: Jonathan Clarke <jdac@alphalink.com.au>
    Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2002 15:24:01 +1100