Re: Genesis One and Concordism (was a lot of other things previously)

From: PHSEELY@aol.com
Date: Sun Feb 24 2002 - 15:46:36 EST

    Walt wrote,

    << Assuming I can read, I still fail to see much of a comparison to Chapter
     one of Genesis. This is full of stories about gods and dragons and god
     wars ............

     Thanks for other references. >>

    The underlying "theology" of Enuma elish is very different from the theology
    of Gen 1. The "science" is the same. However, you will need to read some of
    the references to really see it. Tiamat in Enuma elish is a goddess of the
    water, and the water itself. It is not obvious to the English reader that her
    name is Thm (Thm = Tehom = the Deep in Genesis 1) with a feminine ending, nor
    that Tehom in Gen 1 is not just a common noun, thm, the sea, but is used
    without the article which suggests a proper name. Tehom in Gen 1 is similar
    to Adam: "Adam" with the article means "mankind"; without the article it
    means the individual person, Adam.
    It is a good example of why people not trained in the original languages must
    read the commentaries of those who are so trained.

    Paul