RE: Jewelry among modern humans

From: Glenn Morton (glenn.morton@btinternet.com)
Date: Sun Feb 24 2002 - 21:38:02 EST

    >But even now, isn't there some way RTB could just
    >back off, or shove it aside if it they are so concerned
    >about losing face or whatever it is that they seem to
    >be stuck on. Why can't people just say sometimes,
    >"I mucked it up" and be done with it? It's not
    >like it's a sin to get an interpretation messed up.

    As many times as I have been forced to retract and alter my views (on this
    and other lists) I find it much easier now. (Everyone has places where they
    are and will continue to be wrong because they don't see the evidence as
    convincing.) But one should always strive to change in the face of new data.

    That being said, I have a quotation from Ross which illustrates the problem
    he has with admitting error--he thinks, erroneously, that it loses him
    credibility. He wrote:

     "A scientific misstatement in the science news article 'Earth
    Design Update: Sulfur in the Core' (v 12:2, 1998, pp 4-5)
    must be corrected, and I hope you will forgive me for the
    confusion and loss of credibility it caused." ~ Hugh Ross,
    "Repairs," Facts & Faith, 12(1998):3, p. 7

    Nothing could be further from the truth. Credibility is enhanced when one
    admits an error. Why? Because people then know that you will tell them the
    truth regardless of how painful that truth is to your position!

    Admit a few mistakes, Hugh, it makes you, like the rest of us--HUMAN!

    personal stories of struggle