Re: Russ Humphreys

From: Robert Schneider (rjschn39@bellsouth.net)
Date: Fri Feb 22 2002 - 10:04:59 EST

    Hello, Jonathan and to all reading these postings,

        I've just joined this listserv, and am glad to be taking part in the
    discussions. After looking through and reading some of this February's
    postings in the archives, I have a sense of what topics have drawn interest
    and comments. I'll be wanting to contribute and to benefit from the
    comments others contribute, for reasons I'll give in another message.

        Some thoughts, Jonathan, to your question. Thompson would have to
    answer Humphreys' charge that he has misread H's use of the data, and I hope
    you will hear directly from him. What I think you can do for your friend at
    church, more importantly, is to ask him to review H's piece and ask himself
    if he thinks the language and tone is worthy of a Christian who finds
    himself in disagreement with other Christians. H. could have expressed his
    disagreement, even strongly, without engaging in what I think any
    disinsterested observer would consider intemperate, insulting and accusatory
    expressions. His condemnation of Thompson et al. (I read the whole piece on
    the True Origins web site) express a fury that far exceeds what the fault,
    if it be so, calls for, especially from one that professes his Christian
    faith so openly. It strikes me--if I may dare to judge, but then H. is
    being judged--that R waves the word "Christian" against his opponents as if
    it were a club, and that the tone and language of his accusations, etc.,
    reflect more Gal. 5:20 than 22. (There are other exhortations in Paul's
    letters and the pastorals that would fit this occasion. A friend of mine, a
    Baptist minister who teaches courses in Old and New Testament at Appalachian
    State Unversity, here in Boone, NC, where I live, cites some of them when he
    has occasion to say to his fundamentalist students that they have a right to
    be fundamentalists but not to be mean-spirited.) We know that it is
    possible to engage in spirited disagreement, and even call attention to
    errors by others, without coming on like Jesse Ventura in his wrestling
    days. I think H. went beyond indignation.

        In looking over H's posting on True Origins I see that he has issued a
    retraction that appears to be a response to something Glenn Morton wrote
    him(?). I wish he would pull the whole piece and rewrite it in a way that
    is more worthy of his Christian commitment.

        I probably haven't said anything you yourself have concluded, but
    perhaps you might welcome this confirmation.

    Bob Schneider, ASA Associate Member
    rjschn39@bellsouth.net