Re: Definition of "Species"

From: george murphy (gmurphy@raex.com)
Date: Thu Feb 21 2002 - 13:47:17 EST

    Adrian Teo wrote:
    > The doctrine of Original Sin not only

    > requires that we are morally accountable, but also affirms the concept of
    > the unity of humankind - that it is through the sin of one that we are all
    > fallen. IMHO, to deny the historicity of the one Adam is to make non-sense
    > of the doctrine.

            Again, this is an great overstatement. In Romans 1-3 Paul speaks
    strongly about the universal
    sinfullness of all human beings with no reference to the first humans.

            But let me try to shift the discussion somewhat. (I say "try"
    advisedly. Past experience on this list, & in the ASA generally, has shown me
    that any attempt to deal with theological issues that people here perceive as
    "denominational" is generally avoided. That is especially the case when
    sacraments are involved.)

            I wonder how many Evangelicals who use arguments about "original sin"
    against evolution &/or for an "historical Adam" really hold a doctrine of
    original sin like that formulated by Augustine & followed in the Augustinian
    tradition. I would address this question to all who are concerned about these
    matters (& not just Adrian).
            Do you believe that original sin actually _is_ sin which is deserving of
    eternal condemnation?
           Do you believe that because original sin is truly sin in infants, infant
    baptism is an appropriate remedy?

            If your answer "no" to either or both of these questions then you need
    to state clearly what you _do_ mean by original sin, because it isn't the
    meaning of the Augustinian tradition. Until these differences are clear, we're
    talking about different things when we discuss original sin in connection with
    creation & evolution issues.

    Shalom,

    George

    George L. Murphy