[Fwd: Re: Darwinism/Compassion]

From: Lucy Masters (masters@cox-internet.com)
Date: Thu Feb 21 2002 - 10:18:15 EST

    Lucy responds:

    I agree that we are to "take care of the poor." Where I disagree is in
    the action. We are **NOT** taking care of the poor when we increase
    their ranks. To me, "taking care of the poor" would involve liberating
    them from their dependence, teaching them (as the Chinese say) to fish -
    not giving them fish. Yes - Jesus did give them fish rather than
    teaching them to fish, but he didn't exactly become a welfare agency
    either. These were more like sporadic episodes.

    So again, I must say that working toward a world in which humans are
    healthy and living within the boundaries of their raw materials is a
    good thing. It is certainly the way "nature" would have it, and I
    believe God created all the systems in nature.

    These are extremely important questions in the science/religion debate,
    and they extend to all kinds of issues. We began, for example, mass
    exploitation of antibiotics about 30 years ago with the immediate goal
    of ridding third world countries of disease. And now look where we are
    - crisis. Nature (God?) would have controlled this situation with
    relatively low impact 30 years ago, but because we intervened we will
    now see millions upon millions of people dying because the antibiotics
    no longer work. This is humane? This is Godly? How can we call it
    Godly when, clearly (it seems to me), it is not the system God designed?

    There are those who read this list who do not believe we should consider
    the consequences of our actions when faced with immediate concerns. But
    I very much believe that consequences should be a portion of the
    Christian perspective. The consequences of sending food aid, of using
    mass antibiotics, of refusing to let the parents of severely retarded
    children sterilize those children before they become pregnant with
    children they cannot care for, of using stem cells to save or improve
    the lives of otherwise healthy individuals, and so on. THIS...this is
    the stuff of the science/religion debate...at least for me.