Re: Methodological Naturalism

From: Loren Haarsma (lhaarsma@calvin.edu)
Date: Thu Feb 21 2002 - 08:43:58 EST

    On Wed, 20 Feb 2002, D. F. Siemens, Jr. wrote:

    > There is confusion here between methodological and metaphysical
    > naturalisms. Metaphysical naturalism must deny the existence of a deity,
    > for it claims that there is nothing except physical nature.
    > In contrast, methodological naturalism is
    > a choice of technique within the sciences.

    I substantially agree with the point you are making.
    Yes, we want to distinguish the worldview of Naturalism from the
    scientific method. I simply propose that, when we talk about the methods
    which scientists use to study nature, we go back to calling it "scientific
    methods." The term "methodological naturalism" is misleading, for reasons
    I outlined earlier.

    (If you were a life-long committed member of the Democratic party, would
    you be happy if people started calling Patriotism "methodological
    conservatism"? If you were a life-long committed member of the Republican
    party, would you be happy if people started calling Universal Access to
    Education "methodological liberalism"?)

    Loren Haarsma
    Calvin College