RE: How to discuss evolution with friends. WAs RE: YEC and loss of faith:

From: Shuan Rose (shuanr@boo.net)
Date: Mon Feb 18 2002 - 20:47:27 EST

    Thanks to all for your responses.I have a lot of homework to do!
    I think the key is that any response must be in love. Thats the hard part,
    not the evidentiary arguments!
    i was once accosted by a YEC who lecured me for an hour on the perils of
    believing in evolution. Apparently, I would be end up being a racist,
    Marxist, Nazi and would be in danger of losing the my soul to the fires of
    hell! She pressed a copy of the AiG book, Refuting Evolution, into my hand,
    insisted that I read it, and absolutely refused to listen to anything that I
    said! Tell you, I think the Lord had an easier time with the teachers of the
    Law than we have with YECS (have I committed blasphemy? I hope not)
    Anyhow, One major point that was made in another thread is that evidentiary
    arguments are not going to convince YECs. The strength of the YEC position
    is that it presents a defence of the simple, childlike picture of creation
    we grew up. If most of you are like me, you had a coloring book story of
    the ark with the elephants on the top deck pushing out their trunks beside
    the giraffes and the lions and the antelopes smiling at each other under the
    benign guidance of Noah as they filed into the ark in pairs. In your reading
    of Genesis One, you simply glided over inconvenient facts like plants being
    created before light.
    When that simple picture is threatened, people want to hold on this view and
    instinctively embrace the defenders of the simple picture especially when
    the alternative is to surrender their faith.
    I think the solution is to present a compelling vision of the faith that
    embraces both the modern science and biblical faith. I know that some of you
    guys have been working on that, so I will read what you have to say.
    Another problem is getting the word out.Why have the YECs and the IDs been
    so successful in getting the word out while deeper thinkers (like you folks)
    are "hidden under a bushel?" On another front, we have antitheists like
    Dawkins out there trashing religion in every one of d-ned (but really well
    written) books. Where are the thoughtful responses to his "evolution proves
    atheism" messages. Sometimes I feel like joining up with Mr. Johnson! At
    least, he seems to be fighting the good fight with all his(perhaps
    misguided) might). Yes, I've read Ken miller's book, but it just did'nt do
    it for me. Maybe because there's such an overwhelming flood of Dawkinsian
    propaganda and YEC counterpropaganda out there, its hard to keep my focus on
    the important things.
    I tell you, its hard being a thinking Christian ( but think of the
    alternatives...)
    Thus endeth this rant. Peace.